Whistles one says military

Airbornewingz

Airbornewingz

I got these 2 whistles and I searched online and these are similar to the WW2 era. If anyone knows more about these whistles please let me know.

B1CE90A7-AE75-40CC-B229-2682E1FDA342.jpeg

49125524-2B88-4116-8957-93CD716553B6.jpeg

B277204D-86B9-47F7-9092-72A322CC6203.jpeg

1194F2A4-69A7-4CD2-9C21-784DD23345F9.jpeg

• 2 months later...
Daytonian777

No one has been able to definitively say when these "Military" marked whistles were made, but I have seen guesstimates putting them anywhere from WWI to the 1950s. I have read that the silver examples may? have been used by the USAF to go better with the blue uniform. These whistles are more commonly seen in the raw brass or (very occasionally) subdued. In my time of researching military whistles I have found that generally by the 60's most branches went to the plastic whistles. I guess because they are such a common piece of equipment that there hasn't been great documentation of the types and periods in which they were used. Generally, the way you find dating info is by attributed groups or maker marks. Even then it can be murky. Now for the (J. Hudson & Co.) Acme Thunderer, this looks to be a model 60.5. These have been encountered on USAAF A2 flight jackets, usually attached to the zipper. The 60.5 has very high pitch that can be heard for a mile or two in the right conditions. The Model 60.5 has been produced since the 1920s in Birmingham, England and is still made to this day. Forgive my rambling, but I hope this has been a bit helpful!

Airbornewingz

Ok thanks! Could it be possible for these to be MP? I have seen the MP use similar whistles

Daytonian777
27 minutes ago, Airbornewingz said:

Ok thanks! Could it be possible for these to be MP? I have seen the MP use similar whistles

Of course! I'm glad to relay some info about an obscure topic! 😃  Yes, Military Police absolutely used these. I have seen pictures of this type of whistle attached to a pocket hook on MP uniforms. 

mars&thunder

Here's from WWI - comes direct from the grandson of the vet - a sergeant in the 36th Division. The maker is HORSTMANN PHILA, no other markings. Chain and hook came with it and are what the vet used in France.

IMG_0997.JPG.ac6e490150cdacea94c784941af11eec.JPGIMG_0996.JPG.75ffa5ce421eb5c66e7b3b8b84d9ee52.JPGHere's one

IMG_0998.JPG.fd5b4b3288669b938245c94b22bb0eec.JPG

Daytonian777

@mars&thunder That is a beautiful whistle with an interesting provenance! I also have a Horstmann of Philadelphia that is WWI vintage. I believe that since Horstmann imported a lot of equipment (sword blades from Solingen, Germany, etc.) that these particular whistles are actually made by J. Hudson & Co. of Birmingham. The reason that I theorize this is because the Acme Thunderer model 58 of the period (1900-1920) is EXACTLY the same in fit, finish, dimensions and shape of the lug. Really interesting piece of militaria you have there!

I've attached a couple of pictures of mine as well.

835070846_HorstmannI.jpg.e37be94254a4ff11c3ebbb4feba5ab67.jpg

1981890708_HorstmannII.jpg.e5729c148efacb8d6b02c7111a0d3609.jpg

Thanks for sharing! I recently got to experience my first military whistle, and now I think I am really needing one. :) That chain is called a 'pocket hook'? Here is a picture of the one I saw . . . marked 'Regulation US Army'. Would that mean that the OP's marked 'military' would be for something other than Army? Or just different markings?

DSC08585.JPG

EmperorWangDong

Since we are talking about WWI Horstmann whistles now, figured I would post a photo of mine.

DSC02001.JPG

DSC02002.JPG

Daytonian777

@EmperorWangDong That is truly a GORGEOUS officers whistle you have there! 😄  The patina is extraordinary! You're a lucky man to have such a beautiful example in your collection.

EmperorWangDong
8 minutes ago, Daytonian777 said:

@EmperorWangDong That is truly a GORGEOUS officers whistle you have there! 😄  The patina is extraordinary! You're a lucky man to have such a beautiful example in your collection.

Thank you, now I need to find one like yours!

Daytonian777
7 minutes ago, Airbornewingz said:

Y’all have some nice whistles! 

That is very kind of you, Airborne! Your examples are very nice as well! I personally have always had interest in military whistles because of their importance in warfare. A signal for going "Over The Top", downed airmen calling for help, Artillery commands during barrages, etc..... 

Daytonian777
1 hour ago, EmperorWangDong said:

Thank you, now I need to find one like yours!

I hope you find one! They're out there. Not every day by any means, but they do pop up from time to time. I found my example on Etsy for a great price! 👍

Daytonian777
2 hours ago, stratasfan said:

Thanks for sharing! I recently got to experience my first military whistle, and now I think I am really needing one. :) That chain is called a 'pocket hook'? Here is a picture of the one I saw . . . marked 'Regulation US Army'. Would that mean that the OP's marked 'military' would be for something other than Army? Or just different markings?

@stratasfan I don't think that it necessarily matters regarding the markings. I think it may just be how the manufacturer marked it, though I have seen the U.S. Army marked ones (like yours) and USN marked plastic examples. Maybe someone can add if they have ever seen a USAF or USMC marked ones? Also, an example of the whistle/pocket hook can be found on post #7 at: 

Do they always have the chain, or was that something for only a particular type of uniform? 

The picture is actually of a friend's whistle! It is super nice! 

Daytonian777

@stratasfan Most of the earlier ones would of had a chain or rope (like the British) attachments, but the later (especially 60s + plastic ones) generally (but not always) had lanyards. There probably was an expected standard for the various branches, but I don't know what they were. Possibly as long as one was within uniform regulations it didn't matter. These are questions that (to my humble knowledge) haven't been answered or I haven't seen addressed. Yes, your friends whistle is a nice specimen!