Need Ration Experts Help with images of contents of WW2 U.S. Navy Emergency Ration for Life Rafts!! Ration to be made perfectly clear soon.

rambob

I am doing research for my next ration made perfectly clear project. I have an opened WW2 U.S. Navy Emergency Ration for Life Rafts tin with all of the original contents. The problem is that the paper labels for both of the "rolls" of tablets have degraded and I would like to create replacement labels. But I am having trouble finding any images of the WW2 labels on the web. The WW2 version ration I have uses two paper labels, one predominantly blue and one predominantly red. On the blue label I can barely make out the line NAVY EMERGENCY RATION and the lines SUCROSE-CITRIC ACID TABLETS and SUCROSE-MALTED MILK TABLETS on three sides. Nothing is readable on the red label. If you have these contents in your collections and can take some photos of the various sides I would very much appreciate it. Or better yet if the images are on the web somewhere, I would appreciate you pointing me to them.

Thanks!!

Bob

Navy Emergency Life Raft Ration Contents.jpg

7 minutes ago, rambob said:

I am doing research for my next ration made perfectly clear project. I have an opened WW2 U.S. Navy Emergency Ration for Life Rafts tin with all of the original contents. The problem is that the paper labels for both of the "rolls" of tablets have degraded and I would like to create replacement labels. But I am having trouble finding any images of the WW2 labels on the web. The WW2 version ration I have uses two paper labels, one predominantly blue and one predominantly red. On the blue label I can barely make out the line NAVY EMERGENCY RATION and the lines SUCROSE-CITRIC ACID TABLETS and SUCROSE-MALTED MILK TABLETS on three sides. Nothing is readable on the red label. If you have these contents in your collections and can take some photos of the various side I would very much appreciate it. Or better yet if the images are on the web somewhere, I would appreciate you pointing me to them.

Thanks!!

Bob

Navy Emergency Life Raft Ration Contents.jpg

the blue wrapper is the charms im not too sure what the red one is

PMAN12094,

You are right that the blue roll is the Charms. The red roll are the 10 Sucrose-Lipid-Citric Acid Tablets which are basically there but the leakage from them over time ruined the paper wrappers on the rolls. Thanks for your efforts on this. 

Bob

Here are a few pics. There are a couple of versions.  I am not sure of the date on the top photos.  The last pic is the only one I have of the same ration you have.

DSCN1098.JPG.4a5e7840ae9543f126992a75e0099501.JPG

DSCN1102.JPG.90502104355266b9771a36832facbfff.JPG

DSCN1103.JPG.eca0e8b6c2b5c3e05abfd1e98c97438a.JPG

DSCN1104.JPG.633676a33e51e91f13bd086baedbf6dd.JPG

DSCN1105.JPG.7308ac1f27e3a74021564e017c458523.JPG

DSCN1106.JPG.9f234baf1d58874e526f9429e485d5f0.JPG

1042357686_s-l16002.jpg.1446ac048124a00c2f611c6155874574.jpg

RWW, THANKS!! The last image is what I really needed. Now could you go one step further and either show or describe what is printed on each side of the wrapper on each tablet roll. Especially which side if any is marked Made By Charms Co. . BTW. Great collection of these ration kits!!

Bob

I wish I had more pictures for you, but a lot of these I took years ago.  I looked on my "ration shelf", but couldn't find the open tin.  I don't know if I traded it off or what happened to it.  I will keep looking.

The blue wrapped one looks to have all the writing on at lease 3 sides.  I can see what has to be the bottom of the letters in SUCROSE , so that gets 3 sides of that one.  The orange one would only be a guess, but would they have both been marked the same way??? 

Knowing what you are looking for on 3 sides of the one, have you considered Infrared viewing like a lot of collectors on here use viewing dates and markings on canvas items?  I don't know if it will yield any results, but nothing ventured, nothing gained!  You already know what it says, all you are looking for is where it says it.

RationMuseum
On 3/28/2021 at 10:30 AM, RWW said:

The blue wrapped one looks to have all the writing on at lease 3 sides.  I can see what has to be the bottom of the letters in SUCROSE , so that gets 3 sides of that one.  The orange one would only be a guess, but would they have both been marked the same way??? 

Knowing what you are looking for on 3 sides of the one, have you considered Infrared viewing like a lot of collectors on here use viewing dates and markings on canvas items?  I don't know if it will yield any results, but nothing ventured, nothing gained!  You already know what it says, all you are looking for is where it says it.

Honestly, your pictures are the clearest I've seen to date.  I was actually making my account to reply to this thread with a link to this post from 2007 with the only picture I could find of an opened one.   I have a still-sealed one in the museum collection, but at least at the moment we aren't planning to open it unless we get another example of one.  This Reproduction might be working from an original, as it has the correct at-least-two-sides-the-same label showing.

I believe with the Navy-marked candy packets, one side is blank, three sides are the same.

• 3 months later...

i've got an opened one, i'll snap some pics for you but i'm not entirely sure how to post them

easier if you add aol.com to my screenname and email me

ok, got the pics taken.  red has text panel, charms panel, blank panel, blank panel.  blue has text panel, text panel, text panel, charms panel.

• 3 weeks later...
Jake Zenger

Always love seeing pictures like these. I'm a fan of rations so I always enjoy posts like this one. Thanks for sharing.