Early WW2 Gas Mask Use

huntssurplus

huntssurplus

Wondering if anyone has any photo or video of the US Military carrying gas masks at all in early campaigns or any campaigns. I've heard that they ditched them pretty early on after finding that gas would not be used like in WW1, however I'm unsure if they were ditched before some of the early campaigns (Operation Torch/Guadalcanal) after hearing from their allies gas wasn't used, or if they were still carried in those early campaigns. Also, did they carry them in the Philippines or at any of the other islands attacked by the Japanese in 1941/1942?

You see them a lot in training films, and many of these were made in 1942/1943 which seems fairly late for the gas mask to still be displayed prominently as it was. The fear was definitely still there from WW1, but to me it seems unlikely that it still would be widely believed a gas attack was likely at all by 1943. 

huntssurplus

Quick clarification: I am referring to the standard khaki satchel gas masks--not the rubberized assault gas masks worn during amphibious operations. 

huntssurplus

Here's some footage I found where it looks like most American soldiers have the gas masks I am referring too. Also interestingly enough you see some double canteen use, M1903 Springfields, a wool knit jeep cap being worn, and it looks like most men are wearing the wool shirt and M1941 Field Jacket.