US Army Colt Commando 2" Barrell Snub Nosed Revolver Dating from 1943 shipped to San Francisco Possibly OSS?

Navybean

I picked a Excellent US Army  Colt Commando with rare 2" barrel up about 10 years ago. Looking to confirm pistol was original  I sent away for colt paperwork and it appears to have been shipped to the US Army in San Francisco in 1943.  I was told that this was station issued the weapons to the OSS?   Not sure if true or not.   Weapon is in excellent condition and has the ordinance mark near top strap.  Pistol is a 5 digit serial in the 17000 range.   Is there a good source for information on these short  barreled  snub nosed Commandos?  

The Colt manufacturing markings on the side of the barrel and the letter from Colt confirm this pistol is a actual issue snub nosed Commando.  Pistol is chambered in 38 Special and must have a heck of a recoil...      

I am potentially looking at selling it along with a few other WW2 ere pistols (German 38H and Japanese T99) and I was looking for some more details on the pistol/pistols.   

as3.jpg

as4.jpg

as5.jpg

as6.jpg

as7.jpg

as9.jpg

as10.jpg

as11.jpg

as12.jpg

as13.jpg

1 hour ago, USMCR79 said:

I think that the US Army CIC Agents carried these during WWII

Bill

Bill that makes  sense,  maybe not OSS maybe just counter intelligence corp.    

Charlie Flick
17 hours ago, Navybean said:

Is there a good source for information on these short  barreled  snub nosed Commandos?  

Yes, there is.  The best published work on the subject is Charlie Pate's book "U.S. Handguns of World War II - The Secondary Pistols and Revolvers".  It includes an excellent examination of the Colt Commando, both the 4 inch and 2 inch barrel versions.

I hope that is helpful to you.

Regards,

Charlie

US Handguns of WW2 by Charlie Pate.JPG

2 hours ago, Charlie Flick said:

Yes, there is.  The best published work on the subject is Charlie Pate's book "U.S. Handguns of World War II - The Secondary Pistols and Revolvers".  It includes an excellent examination of the Colt Commando, both the 4 inch and 2 inch barrel versions.

I hope that is helpful to you.

Regards,

Charlie

US Handguns of WW2 by Charlie Pate.JPG

Thanks Charlie I even have that book and hi have not looked at it in years 

thanks for the help with this one I was able to find it a new home.  Just need to find a good place to move some of my Axis pistols.   

thank you again for the information.