Any idea what this might be? Hat pin or souvenir item?

Martinjmpr

Wife came across this in a bag of old jewelry someone gave her.  

Any thoughts on what it might be?  Has a similar configuration to an officer's collar brass but it's much bigger.  Screw back center with two pins for pin backs on the top.  

The only thing I could think of was a hat badge or perhaps some kind of souvenir or reproduction item.  

A company, 1st Battalion, 4th Infantry Regiment would be the unit, if it's real.  I told her it's probably not a genuine military item but I said I'd ask.  

Thanks for any input.  

Pin front.jpg

Pin back.jpg

mars&thunder

It's from the period 1899 to 1905 when the 4th Separate Company (Yonkers, NY National Guard) designation was changed to Co A 1st Regiment NYNG. After 1905 they were redesignated again so that brass would have become obsolete.

So this is NY National Guard and NOT the 1st Battalion, 4th Infantry regiment?  

I was looking in WikiPedia at the history of the 4th Infantry and came across this:  

In March 1899 the Infantry regiments were reorganized with twelve, rather than the traditional ten, line companies. The twelve companies were organized into three four company battalions, each commanded by a major.

So I was wondering since this seems to show a battalion (1st) and regiment (4th) if this was a post-1899 badge?  

14 hours ago, mars&thunder said:

It's from the period 1899 to 1905 when the 4th Separate Company (Yonkers, NY National Guard) designation was changed to Co A 1st Regiment NYNG. After 1905 they were redesignated again so that brass would have become obsolete.

So if it's Company A first Regiment, what does the "4" signify?  

mars&thunder

It stands for the 4th Separate Company, its long time designation in the NYNG. NYNG units (Besides the city infantry regiments, the NYNG had 46 Separate Companies scattered throughout the state in smaller population centers) held onto their historical designations for many years and frequently displayed dual designations on insignia and unit medals to emphasize that history. There have been examples similar to this insignia for sale on ebay over the years, with different company numbers in the center. They are frequently misidentified. This is absolutely 100% a NYNG cap badge.