Maj. Gen. Patrick H. Brady (Photo & Letter)

ItemCo16527

ItemCo16527

Good afternoon, everyone.

Back in the early 90s, I read about Maj. Gen. Brady in a book which profiled several different Medal of Honor recipients. I was blown away by the man's courage and determination, and how he would medevac all wounded, regardless of their uniform. In two tours in Vietnam, he rescued 5000 wounded men, none of whom died aboard his helicopter. He is also one of only two soldiers to receive both the Medal of Honor and the Distinguished Service Cross (the other being Col. Robert Howard). After reading about him in that book, I then saw him profiled in a PBS miniseries about the Medal of Honor. This included interviews with him, and I saw how humble he was. Based on all I read and saw about him, I felt he was a truly great man.

Flash forward to November 1994. My mother took then-16 year old me to Washington, D.C. for vacation. During this trip, we went to Arlington National Cemetery. While we were touring the cemetery, we noticed it was very crowded. The 3rd Infantry had troops in their dress blues out and about, and had some guiding us toward a line that was forming. We were both confused as to what was going on, but as we stood in line, we realized it was Veterans Day, and that something important was going on at the Cemetery for it. While waiting in line, I noticed a man towards the front with the blue ribbon of the Medal of Honor around his neck. I thought "oh my God, there's an actual Medal of Honor recipient here!", or something to that effect. He then turned, and started walking towards us, and I could see the MOH clear as day. I also remember thinking that I recognized him, but I could not put a name with the face. As he drew nearer, someone ahead of us in line called out: "How ya doin', Pat?". It then dawned on me: this was Patrick Brady - one of my greatest heroes. I asked my mom if she thought it would be okay if I said hi to him. She said of course, go for it.

When he was only feet away from me, and despite social anxiety and awkwardness, I said "excuse me, General Brady?". He stops, and with a surprised look on his face, says "how do you know who I am?", followed by a good hearty laugh. I explained how I knew him from a book I read, and from the PBS documentary. We chatted for a bit, then I asked if my mom could take our picture. He was more than happy to take a picture with me, his arm around my shoulder. I thanked him profusely for this, and we said our goodbyes.

A month or so later, I ended up writing him a letter. I don't remember what all I said in it, but I probably mentioned that I was interested in military history, collecting militaria, and how thrilled I was to meet him. A couple of months later, I get home from school, and there's a big manila envelope in the mail for me... from General Brady. Needless to say, my jaw dropped when I saw this and I immediately tore open the envelope. Below are pictures of what he sent me. I also included the picture my mom took so you all can see my goofy-looking 16-year old self.

This was one of the greatest experiences of my life. Even now, 26 1/2 years later, I'm still blown away I got to meet one of my greatest heroes. He is truly a warm, caring, and humble man and I was honored to have been able to meet him.

Brady (1).jpg

Brady (2).jpg

Brady (3).jpg

Brady (4).jpg

Brady (5).jpg

Brady (6).jpg