M4A3 Sherman POA-CWS-H5 Flamethrower

Proud Kraut

Proud Kraut

Browsing YT I found some very intersting videos about modeling flamethrowers yesterday. Now guess what I discovered in our local modeling store today. A 1/35 scale DRAGON Sherman kit from 1995. It´s the 105mm M4A3 HVSS variant with flamethrower which saw action during the Korean war. Of course I couldn´t resist.

Fortunately I have finished the refurbishing of my workroom. There should be enough space now to handle two projects simultaneously. This interesting Sherman variant and the 8th Army Desert dio I have already started at the WMF.

TF 001.jpg

Very nice. I was also wondering what happened to that desert dio that was in the works. Great now I have two projects to follow.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 1 month later...
Proud Kraut

It´s fun to build a Sherman again, it must be my 15th Sherman kit I think, But as usual very time-consuming- The chassis including the wheels consits of 113 parts. 350 more parts for the tracks. Referring on what is printed onto the box this kit is more than 25 years old but it´s still a very detailed model. I like it.

FT 07.jpg

It’s good to have another project to follow.  The "time consuming" part of model building is the good part, it gives you time to clear your head and focus on the task at hand.  Good luck with this build.

• 3 weeks later...
Proud Kraut

The tracks drove me nuts. This will be my first "night-dio" and they won´t be visible very well so I replaced them with rubber ones. Meanwhile I nearly completed the hull and the chassis of the Sherman. Actually I´m working on the flames. First trials with LED lights and transparent plastic tubes weren´t successfull.

FT 08.jpg

Proud Kraut

I ordered a 3mm diameter transparent acrylic stick. As you can see it didn´t work as well.

FT 08a.jpg

Proud Kraut

I had to find a way to disperse the light so I sanded the stick. As you can see this works well to create the center of the flame. Still a problem is that the LED is to weak to illuminate  a 30 - 40 cm long stick. If you have any ideas let me know.

FT 10.jpg

FT 11.jpg

FT 12.jpg

I don't know if this will work. Try fiber-optic cable, it will deliver the light to the very end, opposite the light source.

Proud Kraut

Thank you for the input! I noticed the same with the acrylic stick. The stick/cable has to be illuminated over it´s complete length. Have to check fiber-optic as well, good hint!

Proud Kraut

Thanks very much for sharing this link. Outstanding dio, I think the explosion looks very realistic also because of the improved / larger LED he´s using. The challange is to illuminate a 30 - 40 cm long stick now. Thanks again for your input!

• 2 weeks later...
Backtheattack

Great Youtube work. Thank`s for posting the link. Had seen an 1:6 Sherman with a flame thrower working some time ago. 

Proud Kraut

Just a quick update. The Sherman is nearly assembled and has received it´s first coat of primer.

FT_13.jpg