Basic Vietnam Medal rack, no name one question.

P-59A

I picked this up and was wondering why the silver star on the Vietnam medal? My understanding is three stars, three tours, so what does that silver star denote? . This was one guys things, but it was a flea market find so no name.

20210320_134726.jpg

20210320_134746.jpg

1 silver star and 2 bronze stars on his Vietnam Campaign Medal indicates he participated in 7 different campaigns in theatre.

Regards 

Herman 

12 minutes ago, Hermanus said:

1 silver star and 2 bronze stars on his Vietnam Campaign Medal indicates he participated in 7 different campaigns in theatre.

Regards 

Herman 

I have had heated discussions on the stars on the Vietnam Service Medal. My buddy is a Vietnam combat vet. He was a MACV Sgt. radio operator 1967-68 and was with a forward based team directing Popular Forces during Tet. He is adamant its one star for each tour and not the WW2 one star for each campaign. This is my buddy Gil at that forward base just before Tet.

20201122_191511.jpg

20201122_191519.jpg

ItemCo16527

He has 1 silver and 2 bronze campaign stars which indicates participation in 7 campaigns. It wouldn't be possible to earn that many in one 1-year tour, so he probably did at least 2 tours. This wiki page has all of the designated campaigns for Vietnam: Vietnam Service Medal.

Edit: I should note that veterans often get these sorts of things wrong. When I enlisted in the Navy, I was at the recruiting office for a DEP meeting. One of the guys asks a recruiter about his Navy "E" ribbon. Recruiter tells him you get one "E" for each if the first 3 awards, and that the 4th and final award is denoted by a gold star. The 4th award is actually denoted by an "E" surrounded by a wreath.

9 minutes ago, ItemCo16527 said:

Hahaha try not to be too smug about it 🤣

Are you kidding me! I'm gonna rub his nose raw!!!!   😂