Best A2 jackets at each price point...

BigBrother

So! The title is pretty self-explanatory. I may be in the market soon for one of these, and though I've done some research and read a bunch here and elsewhere, I wanted to gather your thoughts/experiences on specific manufacturers at the following price points:

$0-$250:

$250-$500:

$500-inf (reproduction only though, not interested in originals at this time):

What would you say? Bonus points for the same on B3s! 

Thanks all!

garrettbragg12

I’m sure I’ll get a lot of flak on this, but I crew on one of the currently flying B-17’s “Texas Raiders”. I wanted an A2 painted by the guy who painted our nose art for some of our colder “missions”. I spent months looking at jackets in the same price range and ended up with an anniversary edition Cooper. I’m extremely happy with it. I’ve compared it to my originals and it’s pretty spot on. Pretty sure I picked it up used for like $70 on eBay.

Honestly the Vintage Leather Jacket forum is the better forum for this. I was there a long time, have had several makes and have even made repros. I have many friends who collect them and even make them for a living. I know it's a popular topic and I mention all this so you don't think I'm trashing your idea. VLJ started with primarily WWII and early authentic leather jackets but has degraded into "Best Repro", "Cheapest Repro" and showing off the latest options for the hipster look - boots, watches, jeans, etc.

Nothing wrong with those hobbies but please lets keep USMF about militaria and not repros.

If you really want concise, knowledgeable info on this, please ask on a more appropriate forum like Fedora's Lounge or the VLJ.

Dave

P.S. Mods, could this thread please be moved to the repro area?  

phantomfixer

for the 300 range...go to Fivestar leather, the JA Dubow 27798 in russet goatskin...is hands down the best jacket for the price, the hide is the best russet Goat I have seen...the hardware is decent and the stitching is freakin awesome...the pattern is very close to my original Dubow with minor flawsnnot a spot on like goodwear, but you don't wait a year and fork out 1500.00.... 

https://www.fivestarleather.us/collections/type-a-2/products/repro-a2-j-a-dubow-mfg-co-contract-27798-order-no-w535ac-27798-leather-flight-jacket

FYI 5star is featured on the VLJ forum, and you can see the progress he has made from a mall jacket design to a very good A-2 reproduction...no doubt 5 star is setting the stage for new A-2s on the repop market, he has been mentored by some of the best in the industry, is my understanding

No affiliation just very happy with his russet goat...

This is my Cooper. I found it plain jane at the swap meet for $50.00. I took out the tag then I used black shoe polish to darken it some . I searched the net for what I wanted to depict and painted the patch's and back then picked the other stuff off epray then had a boot repair shop sew it all on. My out of pocket including the jacket was under $200.00 . The vast majority of people have no idea I made this and have no idea what a real A-2 looks like. This is close enough for the price.

20200226_201322.jpg

20200226_201334.jpg

230378_208961822458100_5845759_n.jpg

On 3/20/2021 at 11:43 AM, dmar836 said:

Honestly the Vintage Leather Jacket forum is the better forum for this. I was there a long time, have had several makes and have even made repros. I have many friends who collect them and even make them for a living. I know it's a popular topic and I mention all this so you don't think I'm trashing your idea. VLJ started with primarily WWII and early authentic leather jackets but has degraded into "Best Repro", "Cheapest Repro" and showing off the latest options for the hipster look - boots, watches, jeans, etc.

Nothing wrong with those hobbies but please lets keep USMF about militaria and not repros.

If you really want concise, knowledgeable info on this, please ask on a more appropriate forum like Fedora's Lounge or the VLJ.

Dave

P.S. Mods, could this thread please be moved to the repro area?  

There is NOTHING wrong with the OP posting this topic in this area, where it should stay.  They are looking for input from enthusiasts of flight jackets, and this is where that will happen.  It’s not your place to police the forum, we have folks here that do that.  As such, if a topic is inappropriate for this forum, or in a particular forum area, they will decide that. 

On 3/20/2021 at 10:43 AM, dmar836 said:

Honestly the Vintage Leather Jacket forum is the better forum for this. I was there a long time, have had several makes and have even made repros...

...If you really want concise, knowledgeable info on this, please ask on a more appropriate forum like Fedora's Lounge or the VLJ.

We also have a forum here for reproductions but if there is a better place for repro jacket discussions, and believe it or not there actually is, then he now knows and I truly believe it will get him better results.

Thanks for keeping an eye out on the forum and ensuring all our member's opinions are valued.

@P-59A, this is too funny. I pretty much completely forgot about your and others' answers on here as I jetted off to VLJ for the next level of this adventure. Well I returned to USM just now to check on my threads, see if I missed any responses as the notification system seems faulty for me these days for some reason. Anyway I reread your response now and my eyes opened wide. Read my "success" post on VLJ linked below and you'll see why!

https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/well-i’ll-be-damned-look-what-i-found.26211/

:)

8 hours ago, BigBrother said:

@P-59A, this is too funny. I pretty much completely forgot about your and others' answers on here as I jetted off to VLJ for the next level of this adventure. Well I returned to USM just now to check on my threads, see if I missed any responses as the notification system seems faulty for me these days for some reason. Anyway I reread your response now and my eyes opened wide. Read my "success" post on VLJ linked below and you'll see why!

https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/well-i’ll-be-damned-look-what-i-found.26211/

:)

This is how it begins, good luck!!!! One more thing, look at the collar and you will see a Acme whistle and one of those little bells from Capri Italy. That little bell drives people nuts trying to figure out where its coming from. Just saying.

For the nose art I found a nice photo of Chow Hound on line and enlarged the nose art to scale. I then ran grids on the paper and then grids to the jacket. I used model paints from the hobby store to paint it up. I cut a stencil for the mission bombs like those found on Chow Hound. I picked Chow Hound because I built the 1/48 B-17 as a kid and knew her history. The pocket patch's were a little harder to figure out. Over time those patch's have been depicted with minor variations and I had to figure out what would have been a period correct look. They were painted on scrap leather and sewn on. I can't wait to see what you do with your A2.

10 hours ago, BigBrother said:

:)I saw your post there, congrats on your new jacket.  It seems like your are now hooked, prepare for a lighter wallet.

2 hours ago, P-59A said:

For the nose art I found a nice photo of Chow Hound on line and enlarged the nose art to scale. I then ran grids on the paper and then grids to the jacket. I used model paints from the hobby store to paint it up. I cut a stencil for the mission bombs like those found on Chow Hound. I picked Chow Hound because I built the 1/48 B-17 as a kid and knew her history. The pocket patch's were a little harder to figure out. Over time those patch's have been depicted with minor variations and I had to figure out what would have been a period correct look. They were painted on scrap leather and sewn on. I can't wait to see what you do with your A2.

Oh I hate to disappoint, but I’ll likely be keeping this as-is, in part because it’s going to serve double duty as a daily wear/civilian jacket, both for modern outfits and when I’m going to an event as a 40s/50s civilian :).

phantomfixer
2 hours ago, P-59A said:

You did a bang up job on the nose art ...

9 hours ago, BigBrother said:

Oh I hate to disappoint, but I’ll likely be keeping this as-is, in part because it’s going to serve double duty as a daily wear/civilian jacket, both for modern outfits and when I’m going to an event as a 40s/50s civilian :).

If you can find one then why not another? I ware mine when weather permits. I have yet to see any law saying you can't have two.