Last of the China Horse Marines- Scrap book 1934- 1938

6th.MG.BN

I acquired this scrap book not knowing all that was in it(I'm still finding stuff in it). It was owned by George D. Henwood who was one of the last 15 China Horse Marines when the Marine Corps disbanded them in 1938. I tried to take a lot of pictures but left out more stuff than I photographed.

As I was just taking pictures I noticed one of the signatures, Mitchell Paige from Pittsburgh, Pa. he had to be 17 or 18 years old at the time he signed Mr. Henwood's scrap book. A couple of interesting things in the book were some China horse Marine photos along with a Marine motorcycle unit riding in parade formation.

George Henwood was a B.A.R. man and even made a detailed drawing of one.

The one thing I found in it is a "4 Horse Marines, Illinois" hat. I'm guessing a reunion piece but never saw one before?

Make sure you read his disclaimer first!

Hope you enjoy as much as I'm.

Ken

DSC01196.JPG

DSC01197.JPG

DSC01199.JPG

DSC01200.JPG

DSC01201.JPG

DSC01202.JPG

DSC01203.JPG

DSC01204.JPG

DSC01205.JPG

DSC01206.JPG

DSC01207.JPG

DSC01208.JPG

DSC01209.JPG

DSC01210.JPG

DSC01211.JPG

DSC01212.JPG

DSC01215.JPG

DSC01216.JPG

DSC01217.JPG

DSC01218.JPG

10 minutes ago, jerseygary said:

Can anyone tell what kind of motorcycles they are riding?

Don't know if the are Harley's or Indian's? Back of picture dated 1931.

Ken

DSC01240.JPG

Yes Ken you got a stunner there! The thing I love about scrap books-albums is you never know what you will find in them. Those Chinese brand cigarettes, the tailor receipts, etc...just a fantastic cultural record!I will bet that motorcycle pix which was taken in Tientsin dates before 1931.....probably 1927-29 when Butlers Brigade was there. Also nice to see the nude pin up pix intact as most of the  scrap books have those ripped out and thrown away by the Marines family. Again great item!

Thanks all for the kind works. It is amazing looking through all the brands they used while in China. 

Dirk, you might be right about the motorcycle picture being earlier than what is written on the back.

They definitely are a time capsule waiting to be looked at again.

Ken

• 1 year later...
The Lost Cause

QUESTION;  First, what a great scrap book.  I collect China Marine.  Recently I picked up a uniform lot for Edson Jay Evans, Marine Corps 1929-1936.  In doing research, I find that in his 4th MCEF rosters from, Aug 1930 to Dec 1931, he is listed as Military Police.  Included in the uniform lot was a pair of the green riding breeches, named to him.  I'm trying to determine if the Military Police designation means he was part of the Horse Unit.  Can anyone advise?  Thank you,   Mike 

Mike,

Thanks. I don't think your guy having a Military Police designation would automatically equate with being in a Marine Horse mounted unit. The fact he had riding breeches could also point to a motorcycle not necessarily a horse.

Look at the photo above of the Marines riding motorcycles. They are wearing riding breeches.

Ken

Mike since Evans was never in Peking, he would not be a member of the Mounted Detachment. The Mounted Det  only existed at the Legation/Embassy. Ken’s  suggestion sounds more plausible. I believe the Shanghai MP’s had access to motorcycles as well as the dispatch riders.

• 2 weeks later...