USMA Sword

SARGE

Gents,

I picked up a nice example of a current United States Military Academy (USMA) sword recently that I thought I would show. This sword was made by WKC in Solingen Germany and is so marked on the blade. Interestingly, WKC has used their early pre-war logo of a Kings head and a Knights head showing the Imperial German period merging of Weyersberg and Kirschbaum into WK&C. The sword is etched with "USMA" on the obverse blade and has the military academy logo on the obverse guard. It has matching dates and numbers on the back of the sword guard and scabbard. The sword came complete with the blue cloth WKC sword bag with a drawstring at the top opening.

It seems that these swords without the name of the owner etched on the blade actually sell for more money than those that are named.  The reason for this is they can be re-used by another cadet without having to carry one with the name of a previous owner.  Who would have thought?

USMA sword.JPG

USMA sword hilt.JPG

USMA sword guard.JPG

USMA sword blade.JPG

USMA sword hilt back.JPG

That's about as bright and shiny as you can get Sarge. Very Nice. Is that a 2014 date on it and a serial #? I think I have 2 of that style but neither are from West Point. I'm in western NY and one is from the Manlius (I'll have to check that spelling) School near Syracuse.  For a period of time it was a military academy. I believe the owner did have a long military career. 

Yes Sundance, it does have a 2014 date and serial number on both the back of the guard and the scabbard throat.  

There are several look-alike swords that were used by various military academies.  I would love to see your examples for comparison.  

Beautiful example! Has the design remained the same over the years? I remember seeing the small letter-opener versions of this sword, and looking at some pictures of old full-size ones, they seem to me to have looked like this one. Is it much thinner than one of the Infantry or Navy swords? It looks thinner, but it could be the proportions. 

Other US military academies often adopted this form for their swords.  Here is an example of one that is strikingly similar except it has "MA" (Military Academy) in the guard instead of the West Point insignia and motto.  It also does not have "USMA" (United States Military Academy) etched on the blade.  These seem to be fairly common substitutions by the other military academies.  Many also adopted versions of the M1902 Army Officer Saber but they etched the name of their particular academy on the blades.

MA sword.JPG

MA sword hilt.JPG

MA sword scab.JPG

MA sword name.JPG

MA sword blade.JPG

MA sword maker.JPG

Oh, that's a beauty. Really cool that it is another Lilley & Co. item! They are so interesting! 

Also interesting as as I would have jumped to the "MA" being for Massachusetts . . . like National Guard or something.

On 3/19/2021 at 10:38 AM, SARGE said:

It seems that these swords without the name of the owner etched on the blade actually sell for more money than those that are named.  The reason for this is they can be re-used by another cadet without having to carry one with the name of a previous owner.  Who would have thought?

The USMA cadet sword is an issue item and then turned in. 

Most of the purchased ones are for a gift.  It was/ is a popular graduation gift for cadets to give to their parents.  Usually found in a wall hanging box with a brass engraved plaque.

Cadets can purchase them from the cadet store.

Scott

Thanks for the clarification Scott. 

What I imprecisely meant to indicate was the re-sale value on the second hand market.

Spathologist
On 3/21/2021 at 11:48 AM, SARGE said:

Other US military academies often adopted this form for their swords.  Here is an example of one that is strikingly similar except it has "MA" (Military Academy) in the guard instead of the West Point insignia and motto.  It also does not have "USMA" (United States Military Academy) etched on the blade.  These seem to be fairly common substitutions by the other military academies. 

The MA swords are actually M1868 pattern.  The hilt with the academy seal replaced the MA hilts on the M1930 pattern sword.  Dusan Farrington has a section devoted to the USMA swords in his Swords and Sabers of the US Army.