I'm stumped on this uniform

PMAN12094

It doesn't have any tags on the inside other than the size. I'm thinking it's Vietnam era but I could be wrong. Any help would be appreciated. 

IMG_4629.JPG

The OG-107 cotton sateen fatigue shirt was adopted in late 1964. This one looks like the OG-507 permanent press version that I first saw in 1978 or 1979 but was officially adopted in 1975.

Looks exactly like the permanent-press fatigues we were issued when I joined the Army in 1980. 

Tag has been removed which was common - they were sharp and scratchy, not comfortable at all.  

This officer (Major) was an aviator assigned to the 1st Armored Division.  Likely he was stationed at Katterbach Airfield just outside of Ansbach.  Reason I say that is because Katterbach was the big helicopter field for 1st Armored Division at this time (I was stationed in Ansbach with 1st Armored Division Headquarters from 1987 - 89, that's why I know about Katterbach Airfield.)

He was also very likely a Vietnam veteran, having served with the 1st Cavalry Division in Vietnam (based on the right sleeve patch.)  As a Senior Aviator, it's likely he was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam.  

EDITED TO ADD:  Before someone says it, yes I suppose it's POSSIBLE he was a Korean War vet (since the 1st Cav fought in Korea, too), but I would regard that as unlikely.  He was an aviator and the 1st Cav in Vietnam had a LOT of aviation assets, thus a lot of aviators, so IMO that points to Vietnam.  Obviously anything is POSSIBLE but it seems much more likely he served in Vietnam with the 1st Cav. 

I mean, heck if we're talking about POSSIBLE, then it's POSSIBLE that he was a WWII veteran.  He would have been in his late 40's or early 50s by the time that shirt was issued in the mid 70's.  But it's "possible" in the sense that it's not IMpossible.  IMO, though, it's not LIKELY.  

17 minutes ago, Martinjmpr said:

Looks exactly like the permanent-press fatigues we were issued when I joined the Army in 1980. 

Tag has been removed which was common - they were sharp and scratchy, not comfortable at all.  

This officer (Major) was an aviator assigned to the 1st Armored Division.  Likely he was stationed at Katterbach Airfield just outside of Ansbach.  Reason I say that is because Katterbach was the big helicopter field for 1st Armored Division at this time (I was stationed in Ansbach with 1st Armored Division Headquarters from 1987 - 89, that's why I know about Katterbach Airfield.)

He was also very likely a Vietnam veteran, having served with the 1st Cavalry Division in Vietnam (based on the right sleeve patch.)  As a Senior Aviator, it's likely he was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam.  

EDITED TO ADD:  Before someone says it, yes I suppose it's POSSIBLE he was a Korean War vet (since the 1st Cav fought in Korea, too), but I would regard that as unlikely.  He was an aviator and the 1st Cav in Vietnam had a LOT of aviation assets, thus a lot of aviators, so IMO that points to Vietnam.  Obviously anything is POSSIBLE but it seems much more likely he served in Vietnam with the 1st Cav. 

I mean, heck if we're talking about POSSIBLE, then it's POSSIBLE that he was a WWII veteran.  He would have been in his late 40's or early 50s by the time that shirt was issued in the mid 70's.  But it's "possible" in the sense that it's not IMpossible.  IMO, though, it's not LIKELY.  

thank you for the info

23 minutes ago, aznation said:

I wonder if this may be your guy.

w1.jpg

w1a.jpg

I wonder how it ended up all the way in Maryland and then to me

11 minutes ago, PMAN12094 said:

I wonder how it ended up all the way in Maryland and then to me

I don't know but let's see what others think.  I'm not positive this is your guy.  Anyone think this may be the right person?

If it is him, here's his Facebook page with more postings and pics =>  https://www.facebook.com/doug.wood.5686