Japanese Type 99 Captured on Wake Island

mkite93

Here’s an interesting war trophy I thought I would share since it can be tied to an individual. A nearly out of the crate type 99 that was taken by a Navy guy when Wake Island was officially retaken when the Japanese there surrendered in September of 45. Interestingly he stamped his name and Wake Island into this rifle and even made the canvas bag to bring it home in. It’s neat to tie the rifle to a particular historically significant place even though this rifle never saw combat. 87567CB7-A939-4DC2-A872-F0D43C69AEBD.jpeg.e4a4e5dd6e3409d70830fcbd48bfa05c.jpegFA1C026B-BC46-46B3-A938-C5DC8BDE015F.jpeg.51a8d708614755bed497f05eb5ac8562.jpeg82C6FA7E-E9B7-4F28-AE33-FDB2563F11F1.jpeg.935c795a0c5b1f7a42cfc443542614cd.jpeg

2 hours ago, katieony said:

A really interesting bring-back!  Thanks for sharing it!

Three Indian head avatars in a row...?

Jackpot!

1 hour ago, Blacksmith said:

Three Indian head avatars in a row...?

Jackpot!

Lol, what were the odds of that happening!

That is nice - intact mum it appears. I love those Type 99s. I like the customization also - really adds to the item's history IMHO. My dad was in the Pacific and I always wanted a Japanese rifle.  When I started collecting I waited for a long time to come across one but since then I've found a couple more. The last one had an original quick release sling and I bought it pretty much for that. 

Thanks for the comments everyone. Some people may say to have the carvings on an arisaka in this condition is a negative but I think it adds to it.  It seems recently the the good quality ones are shooting up in value like never before and have become expensive and extremely desirable. 

As far as some other details about this one, it’s owner lived about 30 minutes away from where I live and came out of his estate after he passed.  He was on the USS Herbert C Jones and spent most of his war in the ETO and invasion of Italy area. But the ship was sent to the pacific at the time of surrender on patrol duty and ended up at Wake days after the formal surrender of japan to accept the surrender of Japanese troops still on Wake. 

What a great Type 99! I agree, I think years ago the carvings would have "ruined" this piece but this just makes it stand out.

Very true. Years ago someone probably would have considered finding a replacement stock but with all the research that can be done nowadays I was able to confirm the timeline of its original owner and confirm he was there at that time. And for it to come from a place as unique as Wake Island is a bonus for me. As custodians of history it’s nice when you can preserve an item as unique as this and you can pin it to a specific place and time. 

Jim McCauley

It's a beautiful rifle.  

Out of curiosity, does the bolt serial number match the receiver serial number?

Best regards.

Jim

49 minutes ago, Jim McCauley said:

It's a beautiful rifle.  

Out of curiosity, does the bolt serial number match the receiver serial number?

Best regards.

Jim

Jim 

Thank you. Fortunately this one is an all matching example.  

Jim McCauley
Jim 

Thank you. Fortunately this one is an all matching example.  

That’s a home run. Matching with intact Mum is a rarity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice rifle!

Curious as to the manufacturer and series.  Looks to be a Toyo-Kogyo 32nd series or Tokyo-Juki 37th series.  Does it show any evidence of ever having a mono-pod?

28 minutes ago, jangle said:

Nice rifle!

Curious as to the manufacturer and series.  Looks to be a Toyo-Kogyo 32nd series or Tokyo-Juki 37th series.  Does it show any evidence of ever having a mono-pod?

You are correct it’s a Tokyo-Juki 37th series in the 4100 serial range. Excellent eye for narrowing it to those two. It appears it did have a monopod at some point who knows when it was removed. It may have been removed before the vet brought it home. I would have expected since it was in this condition for it to still be attached. 

Thanks for the verification.  Rifles this early in the 37th series are extremely well made and finished.  I have 415x.

Again, you have a treasured keepsake.

3 minutes ago, jangle said:

Thanks for the verification.  Rifles this early in the 37th series are extremely well made and finished.  I have 415x.

Again, you have a treasured keepsake.

Thank you. Mine is 418x so not too far off from yours.  I agree the early ones of this series are very nice. I have a later example of a 37th as well in the 53000 range and there are dramatic differences. 

Radio Operator

That's really cool, first time I have seen a rifle inscribed from where it was taken as well as a custom take home bag. 

• 1 year later...

Bringing this one back up on the anniversary of the Japanese surrender of Wake Island , September 4th 1945. Which was most likely when this rifle was taken. 

• 5 months later...
Brian Dentino

What a beautiful rifle in amazing condition.  All matching, Mum still present, and the condition makes this one a rare bring back indeed and a very valuable rifle.  Congrats on adding this beauty to your collection.