M1910 Shortened Shovel?

Julenlar

Hello there wonderful people! I hope you're all having a lovely day, specially seeing that the weekend is right around the corner! 

I'm doing pretty well, albeit university is giving me quite a beating! 

Luckily today I got a package in, a gift from my girlfriend!

shovel.jpg.a0cd0ab6a02ee0e9d33c73c371b95bde.jpg

It seems to be an M1910, U.S. stamped shovel, shortened, and repainted at some point. Apparently it was pretty cheap, so I'm not expecting much out of it, but I'd love to see if there's people that know more about this, and what they think of it! Since there are a few oddball thingies here and there that bug me out a whole lot.

The rivets at the handle are as I'd expect them to, different and made in a hurry, they don't look terrible but they do not look perfect either:

Base-rivets.jpg.05c178231a29493d549d40299c4f0776.jpg

base-rivets-_2_.jpg.42d467c3b92205ca70c23813638d35e5.jpg

It is a little worn and bent out of shape at the front:

spade-blade.jpg.b887b001e76f724284d12b5a4e2f37c4.jpg

Now what bugs me are the rivets used for the spade itself, the underside seems all nicely done and perfect, while the other side, they are horribly riveted in place, note the U.S. stamp:

underside-rivets-spade.jpg.628f6b2cec2ef4589d8968918f16cc58.jpg

US-and-rivet.jpg.d7fd77733e2197a45df0e444d95d1e4a.jpg

Anyone know what's up with that? The wooden body of the shovel seem to perfectly match on everything else so personally I got doubts regarding it being replaced by someone. This is only made weirder by the cutouts found where the straps for its carrier are usually placed, something I've never seen (even then, I am not a pro regarding these). Wooden wedges are still visible under the cutouts so that makes it a little tougher to believe it was replaced at some point, but again I haven't quite seen repros look like this either.

cutout-spade.jpg.c2ee51e26808455e9e302e94d9c2ddce.jpg

Any ideas guys? I'd love to hear them! 

Thanks to everyone in advance, and have a great day!

Paratroopers in WWII wore shorted entrenching tools like this, we imagine they were modified at the Regimental level or at the divisional level, thus the varying of the modification jobs, rivets, the amount of wood seen between the two metal parts etc.

41 minutes ago, patches said:

Paratroopers in WWII wore shorted entrenching tools like this, we imagine they were modified at the Regimental level or at the divisional level, thus the varying of the modification jobs, rivets, the amount of wood seen between the two metal parts etc.

Oh yeah heard so! Pretty neat that is, but anything that is made non-officially seems to be a gigantic pain in the rump and a never-ending rabbit hole! Is there any way these could be authenticated? Would be cool to know, even if as said, I personally don't expect much!

I my experience with these shortened shovels shows that there are two variations to them Army and USMC usage. The shape of the blade and the color are the key to who used it.

3 minutes ago, robinb said:

I my experience with these shortened shovels shows that there are two variations to them Army and USMC usage. The shape of the blade and the color are the key to who used it.

Been binge watching vids about these online and did notice there were some differences inbetween them, which is really cool as well! Sadly this one being a repaint, color is a bit out of the question lol

The short T handle shovel; a study 

I'm no good at posting a link, but do a search using the above sentence and you should find my topic about them.

8 minutes ago, robinb said:

The short T handle shovel; a study 

I'm no good at posting a link, but do a search using the above sentence and you should find my topic about them.

Just peeped it out, great stuff, very interesting too! 

Persian Gulf Command

Marine on top Army Airborne on bottom.  The Marine examples often had the point of the spade rounded.  

P6251077.JPG

P6251086.JPG

6 hours ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

Marine on top Army Airborne on bottom.  The Marine examples often had the point of the spade rounded.  

P6251077.JPG

P6251086.JPG

Fair enough! Seeing the pointiness of my own, I'm guessing it's an airborne shorty, correct?

6 hours ago, Julenlar said:

Fair enough! Seeing the pointiness of my own, I'm guessing it's an airborne shorty, correct?

Pointy Head, sure, guess airborne 1500610084_emoticonsmile.png.466a93bcb8609a8890caeb198ba2b0ad.png

Persian Gulf Command

These can be deceptive in photos but what I see is a point that has been rounded some.  Additionally the paint seems gray over perhaps a red primer so the paint is not typical GI issue or OD depot repaint.  Could be a shovel used by sailors when on shore. 

If it were mine I would say Marine with a rounded spade, minimal shortening of the wood, and repainted by some owner when he/she was State Side. 

7 minutes ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

These can be deceptive in photos but what I see is a point that has been rounded some.  Additionally the paint seems gray over perhaps a red primer so the paint is not typical GI issue or OD depot repaint.  Could be a shovel used by sailors when on shore. 

If it were mine I would say Marine with a rounded spade, minimal shortening of the wood, and repainted by some owner when he/she was State Side. 

True! I went out and took some extra pics, side by side with my other etool for reference, definitely a bit bent the spade is lol.

AnyConv.com__fc51d850-262e-4c94-9530-dcbf83f50e36.jpg.a302996e51b00b7bf0745e6dbfb9a5a2.jpg8289d94c-d853-475b-afe8-528ab655c32d.jpg.990e406198dd45651f39ec63f9cbd47e.jpg08fd8249-789f-4288-b0cc-868b88ef8d46.jpg.22417e15240120a57b86ba1ea1614157.jpg

It is a little rounded indeed, but not quite as drastic as what I've seen in other pics, albeit yeah paint has been definitely redone

Persian Gulf Command

The deceptive nature of the photo prospective is really evident in these additional photos.  Your "shorty" does not look like the same shovel in two of the photos.  Also in one photos the paint looks to be an OD green.

10 minutes ago, Persian Gulf Command said:

The deceptive nature of the photo prospective is really evident in these additional photos.  Your "shorty" does not look like the same shovel in two of the photos.  Also in one photos the paint looks to be an OD green.

Ah crap, here I was thinking I'd make things easier!