New (to me) Garand Followed me Home Today

TLeo

I had been looking around lately for a nice M1 and saw this one listed at a gun & pawn shop about 90 minutes away. It looked good in the photo on their web site, so I took the drive and this lost puppy followed me home. They also threw in a full bandolier of hxp M2 ball ammo. Looks like the barrel is dated 11-63 and it is shiny and smooth down the bore with crisp rifling. The store says it is a 1941 receiver but I don't have my reference book so could use some help with confirming that and any other info about the parts pictured. There is a brush and gas port wrench stuck in the stock I need to somehow get out as well.  Stock has the usual dings and stuff but looks quite nice. Thanks in advance.

IMG_0012.JPG

IMG_0013.JPG

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

olivedrab1970

Nice example of GI surplus Garand, make a great shooter. Quite possibly refitted CMP rifle.

Robin-

41 minutes ago, olivedrab1970 said:

Nice example of GI surplus Garand, make a great shooter. Quite possibly refitted CMP rifle.

Robin-

Yeah that's certainly possible.   that didn't occur to me....especially with the greek m2 with it.

Try to get Bruce Canfield's M1 Garand book, it's easy to find and fairly inexpensive and contains lots of good info and pictures.

Nice gun! Looks great. I don't see anything about it that looks questionable. Looks like all USGI. CMP may have rebuilt it as I think if it was a GI arsenal rebuild there would have been electro-pencil marks on the right side of the receiver where the drawing numbers are at. 

• 5 weeks later...

Congratulations on the new rifle! BTW the Trigger housing and bolt numbers put them somewhere between November 1944 and the end of production. The gas screw is late to post war as well but the makers markings are unknown yet. Have fun with it.