Who knows approximate date and regiment/command of this US solider?

Well, he is 10th Infantry Co. F

The blouse is the 1874 model but could be any time from then to the 1890's but I would think probably in the 80's

The soldier on the left is wearing the first bronze Marksman Bar and Sharpshooter Cross that was approx 1883.

you can see there is a little difference in the collar on the blouse which came after the one your soldier is wearing.

I am sure there is another that may be able to get a little closer on the date and knows more about the uniform than I.

Gbrown1 or bluebookguy will probably know better

Early Medals 1.jpg

Thank you very kindly 45govt.  My ultimate goal is to find a muster roll from the 10th infantry company F.  I know the soldier's last name is Warren so my ultimate goal is to find a unit roster or muster roll from the time at which he served so that I can identify his first name.  I've already found a "William Warren" from 10th/Co F but that was from 1863 and I expect that is not the right person.  Looks like I'll need to find a muster roll from the mid 1870s-80s.  Thanks again.

Photographic evidence puts this in the 1880s-90s.

Photographer and the backmark may help to bracket dating more precisely.

Scott

BlueBookGuy

hello JimW,

even allowing for imperfections and shortcomings in processing/printing photographs back then, those chevrons are too much a light hue to be the azure color of Infantry   -    sure  they're white, thus dating the photo post-springtime 1885. 

In March of that year it was decided to change from light blue to white for trousers' stripes, owing to the change in color of Pattern 1884 trousers from the classic light Sky Blue to a so-called 'Saxony' Blue (much darker, thus making the blue stripes too difficult to notice).  Changing the stripes of course meant changing chevrons as well, thus an earliest timeline should be 1885  -  not before.

Nice photo. FYI, the muster rolls for Infantry regiments are on Ancestry: "U.S., Returns from Regular Army Infantry Regiments, 1821-1916"

A quick check showed several Warrens, both given and surnames. Good luck!

Here is the cap badge like the one he is wearing.

img011.jpg.fcf10b3db7366fdf4cf13e1b0e755b29.jpg

The photo is no earlier than 1890, and no later than 1896. Guaranteed. I'd say if you check muster rolls from 1892-94 you'll likely find him. 

7 hours ago, CAC1901 said:

The photo is no earlier than 1890, and no later than 1896. Guaranteed. I'd say if you check muster rolls from 1892-94 you'll likely find him. 

Hi CAC1901, what limits this photo to post 1890?  Is it the insignia? Thanks!

On 3/19/2021 at 8:19 AM, BEAST said:

Hi CAC1901, what limits this photo to post 1890?  Is it the insignia? Thanks!

Its several factors all meeting at the intersection. The sack coat is quite distinct as the 1890 pattern, the kepi looks like the 1889 specs (slightly lowered front height), then theres the guys haircut and mustache all very characteristic of the style coming into vogue as the 1890's turned. I collected a lot of military images of this era and even 5 years earlier the aspects were noticeably different. Any one factor can be age fudged a tad earlier, but all togther in one image, it screams 1890+. The tail end is 1895 due to the new caps which replaced the kepi service wide by 1896. 

5 hours ago, CAC1901 said:

Its several factors all meeting at the intersection. The sack coat is quite distinct as the 1890 pattern, the kepi looks like the 1889 specs (slightly lowered front height), then theres the guys haircut and mustache all very characteristic of the style coming into vogue as the 1890's turned. I collected a lot of military images of this era and even 5 years earlier the aspects were noticeably different. Any one factor can be age fudged a tad earlier, but all togther in one image, it screams 1890+. The tail end is 1895 due to the new caps which replaced the kepi service wide by 1896. 

Thanks! Is it the lack of exterior pockets that make the sack coat the 1890 pattern? Good point about looking at the individual, I hadn't considered his haircut or mustache style.