WASP Wing, one of the 38 - Marie N Michell Robinson crash find

Great thread & story. These young women (Marie was only 20!) took on a real challenging job way back in 1943 & 1944. I have always had tremendous admiration & respect for these Fly Girls! May they all be flying high for eternity. Bob

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This was in another post of mine. It a WASP Wing belonging to Marie N Michell Robinson. She died along with the pilot and flight engineer when the B-25 she was copilot of crashed in the Mojave. Her brother gave them to me as a thank you for returning her personal effects recovered at the crash site.

post-169522-0-42968500-1541891317.jpg

post-169522-0-57223300-1541891592.jpg

post-169522-0-62837400-1541891697.jpg

post-169522-0-84375000-1541891768.jpg

post-169522-0-84416000-1541891718.jpg

20210118_215756.jpg

phonestuff 036.jpg

Old Crow 1986

"Thanks so much for your efforts to honor the memory of those who died in the service of our country, especially Marie."

That says it all right there. 

What a terrific piece of history you're looking after.   

rathbonemuseum.com

This is a great story and so much more than the wings pictured. I have attached a few of the larger stories explaining how the OP and team found the site after all those years due to misleading assumptions from the crash reports. Once they sorted the mistake, they were able to find the unmolested site. Amazing.

Those are great standard issue Josten WASP graduation wings. 

Cheers,

Tod

https://www.aircraftwrecks.com/artifacts/b25_wasp.htm

https://trib.com/news/national/family-receives-watch-wedding-band-from-crash/article_33dc4e9a-ea47-57e1-91c2-00482a4bed1f.html

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2005-may-30-me-marie30-story.html

Wow. Thanks ever so much for sharing this. I've been sitting here for 45 minutes reading all this. Amazing that you found the site and recovered those things for all three flyers. I know how I would feel is someone found the crash site of Uncle Harold's plane, so that must have been amazing for the families. 

Thanks for sharing!

Elizabeth

Patrick is on the  left and I am on the right. We are on the exact spot everything was found. To the left of that bush by my knee is were Lt. Rosado's items were found. I am on top of were Marie's items were found and Patrick is on top of the spot Sgt. Walkers things were found. Parachute parts were all over that spot.

phonestuff 044.jpg

b25_4.jpg

That bent ring below the key belonged to Sgt. Walker. His grandson, named after him was a Senior Master Sgt. USAF and permission to visit the crash site 

20210118_215505.jpg

img001_b.jpg

These are my file cabinets and they are crammed with mishap reports, news story's and info found on the web. I break my info down by aircraft type and date of crash. Pat breaks his down by geographic location and dated. I color code my files, anything in read I have been to.

20200706_173809.jpg

20200706_173825.jpg

Aww, ok. Pat only takes photo's and tidbits of plexy, skin and a small part with a prefix numbers. Things that will fit in a plastic file holder, like in my files. I will do things like the framed reminder and put that on my wall as a reminder to dig for more information. It took me four years to track down NOK on those items. As to actual aircraft parts, the laws very from place to place and jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The Navy/Marines owns all of its crash sites  no matter fatal or not for all time. The USAF washed its hands of ownership of mishaps before 1956, but local and federal law might protect them under the antiquities act on federal lands, but state lands may have their own rules. It's a real cluster f of rules.

20210307_222514.jpg

p59a_1.jpg