C-5 Special Operations SOLL II HGU-55

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

Generally, when you think Spec Ops...a C-5 might be the last thing that comes to mind...

Dover AFB had a special operations unit...SOLL II Night Riders

This helmet was worn by an FE flying SOLL II missions..

The lip light has been taped over for NVG use

The C5 lost the SOLL II mission around 2003(?)

20210316_211732.jpg

20210316_212722.jpg

20210316_211753.jpg

majormadmax

Between the mid-80s and April 2004, the Air Force maintained specially trained Special Operations Low Level II (SOL II) aircrews which operated C-5 Galaxy SOLL II aircraft.

These C-5s were modified for the SOLL II role.

Upgrades included an ECM package, titled 'Pacer Snow', which consisted of AN/ALE-40 flare dispensers AN/AAR-47 missile warning systems.

SOLL II C5s were operated by the 'Night Riders' of the 436th Airlift Wing out of Dover Air Force Base, who are believed to have carried out a number of sorties in support of SOF.

A typical SOLL II mission involves flying a blacked-out aircraft into hostile or sensitive airspace in order to clandestinely deliver cargo.

C-5 SOLL II crews would place duct tape over internal lighting in order to be able to use Night Vision Goggles (NVGs).

The precise nature of other modifications made to C-5 SOLL II birds are not publicly known but they were likely to include enhanced communications and countermeasures.

The C-5 Galaxy was eventually replaced in the SOLL II role by the C-17 SOLL II aircraft and associated crews.

The aircraft, as flown by the 9th Airlift Squadron, 436th Airlift Wing, is still capable of the clandestine insertion, extraction and air drop of SOF.

https://www.americanspecialops.com/photos/usaf/c-5-galaxy-special-operations.php

phantomfixer

I never flew on SOLL II missions...they did take crew chiefs..for spec ops..but I did do the prep work that was discussed in one of the last paragraphs...took a few hours to prep...then we sent them on their way...the aircrews were not your typical AMC crews...

I like the zap on that H10-76 headset.   Do they have SOLL II C-17s at Dover?  My buddy never spoke of them.  He was with the active C-17 unit there but is now with the reserves and I know their call sign is Rider coincidentally.

4 minutes ago, phantomfixer said:

the aircrews were not your typical AMC crews...

What?  Like what we spoke of the other day AMC crews breaking down near beach locations?    Crews bringing pallets of German beer from RS one week and then returning the pallets for a refund the following, or flying fresh lobsters and assorted seafood from the US to the AO.

phantomfixer

LoL mohawk...exactly...I worked fighters for 4 years at RS...the SOLL II boys were more like the fighter world...all about the mission...work hard...fly hard...party hard...

19 minutes ago, phantomfixer said:

LoL mohawk...exactly...I worked fighters for 4 years at RS...the SOLL II boys were more like the fighter world...all about the mission...work hard...fly hard...party hard...

Party harder.   I had interesting times with friends down at the O Club at SJ AFB.   Those Strike Eagle guys play vicious games of crud

phantomfixer
10 hours ago, dmar836 said:

I wonder how many paras they could drop out of a C-5? I bet that could go on forever!

I should know that Dave...back in the 90's we did an airdrop test of 6 C-5s in formation, at Pope AFB/Ft Bragg to test the theory...the result IIRC was that the C-5 was not certified for airborne drops..cargo yes, troops no

phantomfixer
11 hours ago, mohawkALSE said:

I like the zap on that H10-76 headset.   Do they have SOLL II C-17s at Dover?  My buddy never spoke of them.  He was with the active C-17 unit there but is now with the reserves and I know their call sign is Rider coincidentally.

I read the C-17 picked up the mission, but not sure how active it is...being out of the loop now...