Rare Navy Oxygen Mask

boxerdogi

I really enjoy the various Navy oxygen mask setups. This is a pretty rare example. Mask mounted, rear facing mini regulator. This mask belonged to Rudy Kraus when he was flying with the VF -14 Tophatters. He was executive officer on the 66’-67’ tour and CO on the 67’-68’ tour aboard the FDR.

6F49E855-0329-4972-929E-E6941F4902CB.jpeg

Pretty rare configuration indeed, and not only because of the mini regulator and the REDAR hose. Nice find !

I see butterfly bayonets fixed to the hardshell's harness, so no doubt this Phantom driver used it with an APH-6 helmet.

Interestingly enough, an early version APH-5 (late 50's early 60's) with a somewhat similar-looking MS-22001 with "in-line" Firewel mini regulator setup was sold a few days ago here in France.

Here's for comparison purpose.

1542289099_casque-pilote-jet-us-navy-aph-5-masque-oxygene(Medium).jpg.eafeadc3281858405f5fadcee49c6392.jpg

Out of curiosity about the mask you've shared with us, I've found another MS-22001 "in-line" mounted mini regulator and hardshell / harness setup that looks closer to you example than the one I posted before (which was likely a Crusader driver's).

Coming along with an interim version APH-5 retrofitted with Christmas tree bayonets, this set is said to be from a Phantom driver from the early 60's, and prefigures pretty well your mask's configuration.

collection141.jpg.3c41c8d6cc671dea6fff82d9564a14ec.jpg

source - Salimbeti

Just a note...the yellowed plastic tube just behind the plug insert is to protect the redar hose. The hose would snap into a clip on the helmet just below the ear.

Now that's interesting information, surely as an attempt for the aviator's head to gaining more freedom of movement.

I guess that helmet hose retention would explain why these early REDAR setups were connected the closest -and as a matter of fact directly- to the mask (what I've called "in-line"), contrary to the later chest-mounted configuration that became standard, sporting the mini regulator (in the iconic chest pouch) connected to a larger diameter hose, itself connected to the mask.

I wish we could find pictures of aircrews wearing such sets !

Side note, this plastic tube can also be seen on the example I've posted above.

Boxer which regulator does your mask have on it?  Is it a Robert Shaw?  That plastic sleeve on the REDAR hose makes sense that it would do to a helmet mounted clip seeing the position it goes from the regulator.  Doesn't make as must sense on this last helmet setup with the other type of regulator.

Navy has too many variations of masks and helmets!  and on top of that too many comm setups for both,  so confusing!

Guys, you look like very very advanced in post WW2 - 50s and VN era flying gear stuff (included NAVY stuff). Do you have some complete pilots mannequins to show? Always nice to see some more Navy flying great from post WW2 era!

Cheers,

Jerry

Quote; Just a note...the yellowed plastic tube just behind the plug insert is to protect the redar hose. The hose would snap into a clip on the helmet just below the ear.

Basic configuration. The clip is hidden behind the comms jack.

This "Redar" hose 'kit' was supplied with hose clip, placard/decal, sew on retention pieces for attachment to the harness 

and detailed instructions for the rigger to perform installation.

IMG_20200110_062447980 (1).jpg

IMG_1920.JPG

• 2 months later...

What a very rare O2 mask set! Great find.

I've unfortunately never found the dedicated early Phantom mask with its special REDAR set that would have perfectly fitted with my VF-84 APH-5 helmet!