USS Growler Patch - Purpose and Age?

Collector5516

Collector5516

I primarily collect items from WWII and earlier but really love this USS Growler (SSG-577) patch. I believe it is a period patch (the boat served from 1958-1964) but would like confirmation from folks that know way more than I do. Also, it measures approx 6" tall. I assume this would go on the front of coveralls or a deck jacket? Any information is appreciated. 

USS Growler Patch (1).jpg

USS Growler Patch (2).jpg

I believe you are correct in that your patch is period from that era.  Here is a variant (don't have dimensions) as well as another USS Growler patch that are out there if you are searching for this specific sub's insignia.

USS Growler (SSG-577).jpg

USS Growler (SSG-577)a.jpg

USS GROWLER SSG 577.jpg

USS GROWLER SSG 577a.jpg

collectsmedals
2 hours ago, Collector5516 said:

I primarily collect items from WWII and earlier but really love this USS Growler (SSG-577) patch. I believe it is a period patch (the boat served from 1958-1964) but would like confirmation from folks that know way more than I do. Also, it measures approx 6" tall. I assume this would go on the front of coveralls or a deck jacket? Any information is appreciated. 

Collector5516, I see you are from Brooklyn, so I am sure you are aware the USS Growler is docked at Pier 86 in Manhattan as an exhibit at the USS Intrepid Sea, Air and Space museum. Maybe you could take the patch over there and see what they know about it?

Salvage Sailor
On 3/16/2021 at 6:18 AM, Collector5516 said:

USS Growler Patch (1).jpg

USS Growler Patch (2).jpg

That is the correct period patch (mid-1960's) for the USS GROWLER (SSG-577)

It would have been worn on work jacket, deck jacket, or perhaps coveralls, depending upon the commands (CO/COB) uniform standards.

577 SSG 577 USS GROWLER Regulus II 001.jpg

577 SSG 577 USS GROWLER Regulus II 002.jpg