Cost of Firearms Related Militaria - .38 Spec. Ammo Pouch

BryanJ

I use the ad below as an example of the ever increasing cost of firearms related militaria.  I’d like to find an ammo pouch for my Colt Commando, and have been on the search for one of these for a while.  But, I’m having a hard time justifying the cost.  As a comparison, just today I sold a nice antique twin bed on Craigslist, and was glad to to $175.  My hat’s off to you guys who had the good judgement to buy stuff like this over the years, because you’re sitting on a nice pile of cash.  Any thoughts about when, or if these sort of costs will bottom out, or will these costs continue escalating?  Thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW-II-US-NAVY-AVIATOR-REVOLVER-AMMO-POUCH-no-bullets-display-only/284217906676?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160811114145%26meid%3Dd55a9b87429b495f9ebf4c62a4e9ee98%26pid%3D100667%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D8%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D303634455091%26itm%3D284217906676%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2334524&_trksid=p2334524.c100667.m2042&LH_Auction=1

OLDNAVYNUKESPOOK

IMHO, sadly, it's a classic case of supply & demand combined with inflation which makes the Dollar buy less...or put another way, you need more Dollars to buy things than it took a few years back.

US Military Guy

It seems there are two bidders that really (and I mean REALLY) want it - 7***H and 9***6. 

Maybe after they both get one, the next one will be a little less expensive.

You may find one later or cheaper but that is a chance you take. As with all rare items, if you want it and one is available, buy it

silverplate

I'm surprised you found one at all. That's a nice example in really great shape. I've tried researching the pouch in my period literature with no luck. Has me thinking about making a replica for collectors.

Not sure, but may be the same one cross posted on CMP forum for $195 plus shipping. Found one at the SOS in Louisville for my Navy Victory model. 

I just saw the one on the Colt Forum and it is the same one. Not sure how you can list on an auction site and then list on a forum at a fixed price. I would be cautious.

I heard that it’s legit and the seller has several.  I plan to pass on this one, hopefully a forum member will get it.  

On 3/16/2021 at 3:19 PM, Ronald said:

I just saw the one on the Colt Forum and it is the same one. Not sure how you can list on an auction site and then list on a forum at a fixed price. I would be cautious.

You really have to wonder what some people are thinking. However some sellers do it on this site as well.🤔

Auctions can be feast or famine as they say. Add in the stiff-us free cash some are getting and they are paying up for certain items with the added influx of cash, tax returns etc. I dont watch ebay a lot but seen it in past years around tax return time when the Eagle drops his load the auctions seem to do well. 

I recently saw two magazines over on the CMP site that were $180 bid price on their  "auctions" They were late magazines as far as I know as they had the assembly number on the bottom. A common magazine I see and pass on for $10 at  local shows ( Im sure I have a few in the pile here) Im not seeing why two common magazines were at that prie. There isnt a shortage of them and they are not early or marked WW2 era etc.

1 hour ago, Airborne-Hunter said:

Never seen or heard of one of these, but if the seller is correct, $200 is cheap. 

think Hayes had a stash years ago of these pouches.

I think it went for $207.  I congratulate the seller for having the foresight to obtain several.  I found a 1942 first aid pouch for $20 to go with the commando and that will have to do for now.  

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I did not know these pouches were going for that kind of money. I have owned several over the years identical to that auction, most I ever paid was maybe $15. One thing I disagree with in the description was calling it an aviators pouch. These were used for Navy shore patrol pistol belts, therefore the very limited 6 round capacity. Not saying a few did not make it onto a carrier, but they were not made for that role.

There was one that sold on eBay a couple of days ago for considerably less ($105, I think) and probably same seller that sold the pouch originally discussed in this thread.  Had I not just exhausted my militaria budget last week on a Mauser 1934 pocket pistol, I’ve been all over that pouch.  But, maybe next time.