101st uniform items

Usmc2004

I Hate Moths

You see id'd  jump jackets and ike jackets, but rarely both to one soldier. Thank you for sharing this precious memorabilia.

Collector .45

Really fantastic grouping! I can only echo what has already been said. It's absolutely fantastic that these items have stayed with your family and you have the opportunity to remember and honor his service. I believe it was mentioned in another topic already, but I figured I would add it here as well. According to the Index of Belgian Orders and Decorations Awarded to US Service Members During WWII by Brandon Wiegand, he his listed on page five. 

Adamek, Ted A., T-5, Headquarters Company, 101st. Airborne Division (Belgian) Military Decoration 2nd Class w/palm, Belgian CdG w/palm (BelgianDecree#1248,1945)

As it would happen, I have a group of medals to another 101st. airborne soldier who happened to be listed on the same Belgian Decree #1248. I spent a number of months tracking down where these decree's are stored in Belgium and obtaining a copy of the document.

Here is the link to the grouping of medals I have for reference. 

Here is a screen shot of him listed on the document. 

522659259_ScreenShot2021-03-20at10_11_41AM.png.325a4db2dd51b72c5121beb807dc5fc8.png

Apart from obtaining a copy of the official decree, the Belgian Army also sent me an official embossed certificate showing the award of his two medals in 1945. You have quite a rare group as these Belgian decorations seem to have been quite selectively awarded. I can't say that I have seen too many groups that have decorations like these.

Thanks again for posting this fantastic grouping! 

- Henry

4 hours ago, Collector .45 said:

Really fantastic grouping! I can only echo what has already been said. It's absolutely fantastic that these items have stayed with your family and you have the opportunity to remember and honor his service. I believe it was mentioned in another topic already, but I figured I would add it here as well. According to the Index of Belgian Orders and Decorations Awarded to US Service Members During WWII by Brandon Wiegand, he his listed on page five. 

Adamek, Ted A., T-5, Headquarters Company, 101st. Airborne Division (Belgian) Military Decoration 2nd Class w/palm, Belgian CdG w/palm (BelgianDecree#1248,1945)

As it would happen, I have a group of medals to another 101st. airborne soldier who happened to be listed on the same Belgian Decree #1248. I spent a number of months tracking down where these decree's are stored in Belgium and obtaining a copy of the document.

Here is the link to the grouping of medals I have for reference. 

Here is a screen shot of him listed on the document. 

522659259_ScreenShot2021-03-20at10_11_41AM.png.325a4db2dd51b72c5121beb807dc5fc8.png

Apart from obtaining a copy of the official decree, the Belgian Army also sent me an official embossed certificate showing the award of his two medals in 1945. You have quite a rare group as these Belgian decorations seem to have been quite selectively awarded. I can't say that I have seen too many groups that have decorations like these.

Thanks again for posting this fantastic grouping! 

- Henry

Thank you for that information!  Was it difficult to get the copy of that decree once you figured out were they kept them?  That is an awesome group of medals you found there!  

I also want to thank everyone who has commented for the kind words on this grouping. I never really realized how substantial it was until I had it all together to photograph it.  I will add some better photos of some of the items later this weekend. Also pandemic allowing this group will be on display at the Minneapolis-St. Paul collectors group fall show this year for viewing.  

Absolutely splendid grouping man. To have that many pieces all still together from a family member who served with a distinguished unit through its major campaigns is really something special. Those drawn-on rank insignia and sewn-on ribbons are really eye catching. Phenomenal set and glad to see it being preserved!

Here Is an interesting item from the paper work, It is the Glider Riders Song printed on what feels like tissue paper.  And one of my many favorite photos from the group, lots of captions and writing on the backs of most of them but this one was pretty interesting. 

IMG_2686.jpg.a8fafe432db108ef9d4afb95822f9461.jpgIMG_2687.jpg.93dcf0b8919c3d987c8c0fddaff21099.jpgIMG_2688.jpg.382a88cfe69effde98067a88e49b23e2.jpg

2 hours ago, 63 RECON said:

Great group, what is the go with the German Army toys? Would they be a wartime thing? 

That is a good question those are 1930’s German toys, they were all shipped home sometime during his time in the ETO. Here is a post about them. 

On 8/16/2020 at 7:22 PM, Usmc2004 said:

Here is an interesting souvenir that was mailed home by a relative during his time in Germany. He Was with the 321st Glider Field Artillery Battalion.  It is an assortment of Lionel/Elastolin German toys that date back to the 1930's.  It was featured in a local news paper when they were received by his parents in the mail. Got them all boxed up in some archival storage boxes today to help preserve them, for the most part they are made out of wire and sawdust, the vehicles are made of steel and do wind up so they will drive and have lights.DSC_1018.JPG.80b825ccccae974f00ee14a8fde1135c.JPGIMG_1422.JPG.7a3f95d2891fb428f75b5fc6d7cf976a.JPGIMG_6540.JPG.c6c0388020f56bb3bda75aafb47905f3.JPGIMG_1722.JPG.4d6a5fd33b985a1ff338c8386bc0b040.JPGIMG_5064.JPG.2f7d259e950090385ef1edfc06526d44.JPG124893998_IMG_8736copy.JPG.8c899d8cc54f11eb913af4adf5e9ed8d.JPG

IMG_8736.JPG

Kurt Barickman

Have seen those toys in a very few veteran bring back groups; there was a guy in my hometown who seemed to like those as well as your relative as he had 6-7 pieces too.

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

In case anyone is interested I have finally found a display case big enough to get most of these items on display at home. Still a work in progress but I thought some would enjoy seeing.  

5677FA04-2C28-4211-95C3-02581A6397C8.jpeg.630b29fb66bac42530777ef694fa11fc.jpeg

A fantastic update and so happy to see this wonderful family grouping of yours has a display worthy of it's history, size and significance.  A very professional setup - I'm sure your uncle would have been very impressed!

A fantastic grouping. Thanks for posting. 

Maybe this was addressed earlier but wanted to ask if there was another unit he served with as I see mentioned a 321st Glider Field Artillery but the uniform has the Infantry brass and the Infantry cap patch. Did he transfer at wars end ?  Also he must have been jump qualified looking at the photo and it stated making the jumps at Mourmelon . any more info on his service? 

21 hours ago, doyler said:

A fantastic grouping. Thanks for posting. 

Maybe this was addressed earlier but wanted to ask if there was another unit he served with as I see mentioned a 321st Glider Field Artillery but the uniform has the Infantry brass and the Infantry cap patch. Did he transfer at wars end ?  Also he must have been jump qualified looking at the photo and it stated making the jumps at Mourmelon . any more info on his service? 

Thanks for the comments, I really enjoy the hobby much more when everything is not in boxes, and can be shared with others.     

I am currently reading my way through the research I have just received from Geoff at Golden Arrow Research. I will be sure to update this when I have a better understanding of His time in service.  

Thanks, John 

Very nice display and amazing grouping.  I have a bunch (all paper, both Service green dress uniforms from WWII and Korea, medals, bring backs, and  P44 Complete) my Grandpas stuff from the USMC from WWII and Korea, and you just inspired me to display it like this.  Thank you for sharing.