(4K) Lockheed C-5M Super Galaxy United States Air Force USAF departure at Munich Airport

MUC-Spotter

phantomfixer

7029 is now at Travis, was an old Dover bird, spent many hours on her....never thought I would say this, but I miss the old TF-39s spooling up..

54 minutes ago, phantomfixer said:

7029 is now at Travis, was an old Dover bird, spent many hours on her....never thought I would say this, but I miss the old TF-39s spooling up..

Of course you miss that sound, it was so unique.  When I was down at Dover and saw the Mike model fly I was so let down at how it sounded.  No different than a usual airliner with GE CF-6 engines..Blah!  Growing up in the northeast I used to be surrounded by the Westover birds and the ones down at Stewart so you would always know when a C-5A or B was flying over.  Every now and then I have to watch some videos I took on my phone at Westover around 2010-2011 to get that excited chill from that TF-39 whine.  Always sounded great doing touch and goes.

phantomfixer

I have no working knowledge of the new engines...but sooo many stories on the TF-39 from starter control valves, fuel flow transmitters, shut off actuators, cowl doors, the list goes on and on...in every meteorological condition...looking back with rose colored glasses... : ) 

2 hours ago, phantomfixer said:

I have no working knowledge of the new engines...but sooo many stories on the TF-39 from starter control valves, fuel flow transmitters, shut off actuators, cowl doors, the list goes on and on...in every meteorological condition...looking back with rose colored glasses... : ) 

Did you ever have to fly out to Rota to fix one?  They always seemed to break down in nice places.

phantomfixer

yep...TDY to Rota, Sigonella, and many other places AMC enroute, even took my son to Rota for a week, after he graduated HS, on a hop...he liked the beach....

and yes...C5 crews love the per diem....had one break in Port Au prince, for a gen out light, which would have MOGed us out, crew wanted to know where billeting was...we pointed to the empty GP medium with the tarantulas... they took the jet... LOL

On 3/15/2021 at 3:56 PM, phantomfixer said:

yep...TDY to Rota, Sigonella, and many other places AMC enroute, even took my son to Rota for a week, after he graduated HS, on a hop...he liked the beach....

and yes...C5 crews love the per diem....had one break in Port Au prince, for a gen out light, which would have MOGed us out, crew wanted to know where billeting was...we pointed to the empty GP medium with the tarantulas... they took the jet... LOL

A former C-124 crew chief said that you could always find something wrong with a 124 so whenever they stopped in a nice place, he wound up working all day while the crew was at the beach or wherever. The TF-39 fuel flow transmitters and indicators finally got replaced with "new and improved" units just in time for retirement.