Army Song Book restoration?

Misfit 45

Hi Folks,

Is there a safe way to flatten this little song book.  It already has a lot of water damage, but everything is intact.  Would re-wetting it and pressing it work?

Thanks,

Marv

resized_IMG_3170-1.JPG

resized_IMG_3171.JPG

resized_IMG_3172.JPG

I wouldn't re-wet at all.  Try a humidity chamber like you were trying to uncurl/flatten an old rolled up photo.  Put some water in something like a small plastic storage container.  Place a block of just about anything waterproof that is slightly larger (and taller than the water level) than the book in the container Put the book on the block and put the lid on. Let it set a couple of days so the paper can absorb the humidity, then place a weight of some sort on the book and let that set a couple more days.  Remove the book from the chamber but put the weight  back on it on a flat surface for a day or two. It may take several attempts but should flatten it quite a bit.  I haven't used this process for a book before but have had a lot of success with old curled up photos. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the update.  I put a jar of water in an ice chest.  Next to it I put the song book (I forgot to raise the book above the jar of water). I let it sit for several days then put a piece of wax paper over the book, then put a heavy flat piece of iron on top of the book, for several more days. Then I removed it from the ice chest and sandwiched the book between two pieces  of paper towels, then placed it on a flat board and pressed the sandwich with the piece of iron for several days.  I worked very well.  Thanks with the "how-to". 

Marv

resized_IMG_3175.JPG

resized_IMG_3176.JPG

resized_IMG_3179.JPG

Good deal! Glad it worked. I hadn't had a need to try a book or pamphlet but at least we know it works for 2 different items. Good idea to use a cooler too.

Steve