Combat Patch But No Left SSI Badge

Amateur Vietnam Collector

Hi All,

Being an amateur at collecting Vietnam war gear, I saw a Type II Utility shirt with a special forces badge on eBay with 10 min left and bought it.  The special forces patch is on the right shoulder, which I understand to be a combat patch.  The pictures aren’t good of the left shoulder, but it doesn’t look like there is an SSI badge. I tried reaching out to the seller, but she hasn’t responded yet (not a good sign).  She’ll respond eventually, but I thought it would be a good question for this forum.   If a soldier has a combat badge and is still serving in the same unit as the combat badge, is it necessary for them to wear an SSI badge on their left shoulder?  Thank you for any help!

4618C41E-F88D-4A40-92E3-026FF1A0DACB.jpeg

If there is no SSI on the left shoulder then it was removed by someone for whatever reason. It should always be there. In garrison, anyway. 

That’s what I was afraid of.  I think I’ll return the shirt if there is no evidence of a badge being removed.  You would see the outline of the badge if it was removed, because it was sewn on, right?

You should able to see the outline, yes. Even if the patch is missing you might be able to see what it was and replace it. You’re missing the rank, too, so you’d have to display as is or replace those, too. 

This shirt is interesting. Pockets are odd. Buttons are also odd. Better pictures would help. I’m not saying that in a bad way. I’m not a uniform guy but the little I do know is making me wonder. It doesn’t look like a standard US uniform = again, that may be a good thing. Is there a tag inside? I’m betting no (I’m a terrible gambler by the way)

This is one of those Army-Navy Store/PX Types, made in Cotton Poplin, though they were also made in Cotton Sateen. companies such as BVD, Sweet Orr, Fruit of the Loom, a firm called Aronoff to name a few made these. GIs, officers too did indeed wear these, with their matching poplin pants.

The Aronoff ones, the pants I believe.

post-34986-0-42431500-1425579968.jpg

Can't say on why no organizational shoulder patch. if it is Henry Luthy's (Google him Henry Luthy Vietnam for his bio) it was worn probably stateside at one point, late 60s, or early 70s, when he was a instructor at Bragg, then would think a subdued JFK patch with AIRBORNE tab would of been worn.  Is it a large size, Luthy seems to have been big. also are there makings on the collar were pin ranks were.

Ccakipture.PNG.fddc39cb050e4622222ee2290b59b0c4.PNG

Thank you all for your input.  Based on the pictures the seller finally sent me and everyone’s input, I decided to return the shirt.  It just didn’t seem authentic.  I learned a lot from y’all. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

interesting as it seems that uniform did belong to the command seargent major luthy as did the others i had and have.lol learn something new every day,, semper fi

Are you saying you owned the shirt mentioned in this post?  Or, are you saying you have other uniforms of Luthy’s?

On 3/15/2021 at 6:21 PM, Amateur Vietnam Collector said:

Thank you all for your input.  Based on the pictures the seller finally sent me and everyone’s input, I decided to return the shirt.  It just didn’t seem authentic.  I learned a lot from y’all. Thank you!

Maybe, in the future, post for opinions FIRST, and save everybody a bunch of time.

You are correct, sir. I should have asked for opinions first. I apologize for wasting people’s time.

Main concern is for you and the seller, especially considering that you may one day find yourself in a predicament where you get stuck with an item.

Well, live and learn. That’s why I call myself an amateur. I probably should have taken your advice.

• 2 weeks later...

ty for your interest in the item, my friend is new to the bay, she should have answered you sooner, dont be hard on yourself you will learn what is what after time of collecting, i sold all my luthy stuff but will keep you in mind if we find more , god bless brother, semper fi 

21 minutes ago, mike2013 said:

ty for your interest in the item, my friend is new to the bay, she should have answered you sooner, dont be hard on yourself you will learn what is what after time of collecting, i sold all my luthy stuff but will keep you in mind if we find more , god bless brother, semper fi 

Thank you so much.  Yes, I’ve been kicking myself, so it is nice to hear you say not to be too hard on myself.  God bless you too, and thank you for your service in the Marines.

If someone would have assembled this as a fake, they would have made sure to put an insignia on the left shoulder.

There are a dozen reasons why a uniform might have a right shoulder "combat" patch and not have a left shoulder patch for a currently assigned unit.

The shirt looks barely worn.  It may have been assembled at the end of one tour in anticipation of moving to the next duty station.  With a change of orders, there may have been a change in uniform, and the fatigues were never needed.

I would have kept this one for my closet.  You just do not find that many with a CMB assigned to an SF unit.  The fact that it is a nonstandard uniform just makes it all the more interesting.

Better luck next time.

11 hours ago, gwb123 said:

If someone would have assembled this as a fake, they would have made sure to put an insignia on the left shoulder.

There are a dozen reasons why a uniform might have a right shoulder "combat" patch and not have a left shoulder patch for a currently assigned unit.

The shirt looks barely worn.  It may have been assembled at the end of one tour in anticipation of moving to the next duty station.  With a change of orders, there may have been a change in uniform, and the fatigues were never needed.

I would have kept this one for my closet.  You just do not find that many with a CMB assigned to an SF unit.  The fact that it is a nonstandard uniform just makes it all the more interesting.

Better luck next time.

Thank you for your response.  I’m learning that so called  “imperfections” in a shirt do not necessarily make the uniform less desirable or fake.

BILL THE PATCH
You are correct, sir. I should have asked for opinions first. I apologize for wasting people’s time.
No need to apologize, thats how you learn. And for me it wasn't a waste of time, I enjoyed reading the thread.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

No need to apologize, thats how you learn. And for me it wasn't a waste of time, I enjoyed reading the thread.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Thank you so much, sir