Army Ordnance Insignia Device Pre-WWII?

Chief D

I got this pin in a mixed lot. I am trying to pin point (to the best accuracy) era. Dating the fasteners they are hallmarked "PAT. APP'D FOR" with the small "nipple". - Phinney Clutch (dating 1923).  I understand that clutch fasteners were not as popular during the war (much less pre-WWII). Pin backs were more popular. The insignia itself is hallmarked "Acid Test".  I know this was a hallmark used during and after WWII. So now I am trying to connect the dots. Any help would be appreciated.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

These types with the spread out flames was an variant, an alternative style for officers, seen these at least one or two ti,es in officer portraits from the 1960s.

Interesting. Thank you so much for your feedback and thoughts. I havent found anything like it. You gave me another angle of attack. Thanks again!

This style actually dates to the World War I period and was widely worn up to about WWII when the insignia was standardized to what you normally see.

As an aside, I wore a matched pair of PB Gaunt made insignia on my dress blues in the mid to late 1980's.  I took a load of crap about them from other officers too. I wore them to the Ordnance ball and went through the receiving line with my wife- shaking hands and exchanging pleasantries. As we approached the Chief of Ordnance, MG Ball, he looked at me and said "Those are some OUTSTANDING bombs lieutenant!" Later that evening, the general's dog robber approached me and asked if I thought I could find another pair for the general. I did.

Allan

Is it possible then that these are from Post WWI (Pre-WWII) and have the original backs - Phinney Clutch (dating 1923)?

I will make a point of keeping my eyes open when I happen to go through these particular books I have and see when I sport at least one of the portraits and post it here.