WWI 3rd Division 7th Infantry Regiment WIA Group

GIKyle

Saved from being parted out- guy started out as a bugler in A Company 7th Infantry before landing in the Machine Gun Battalion overseas.  Joined the 3rd Division in 1917 and served overseas until WIA on 6 October.  Hospitalized until April 1919, he then returned home.  No chance yet to do a whole Bunch of research but the ribbons make it appear he was a retread for WWII.  Neat pieces of the group include a 1917 Thanksgiving menu and photo, some great photos of the soldier including a great portrait with his 3rd Division patch, a ring made from a a French franc, the telegram announcing his wounding, and his Purple Heart with original mailing box from the PQMD.  The roughly 2-yard long photo is the 7th Regiment assembled outside of Gettysburg, Pa, presumably before heading overseas.  Also of note are the myriad of dog tags- a pair denote him being in the MG battalion, one specified him as a bugler, the last as a Pvt in the 7th.  I’m not sure what the brass tags are for.  Hope you enjoy.

7F3B640F-3970-41E8-A5AF-13B68DE5C9A4.jpeg

6603828D-0031-4C37-97AD-25AB4A14BB18.jpeg

179CD523-10D8-4527-82E8-2131EFF6AA18.jpeg

D2C31D5D-43BC-4CA0-83EB-E84422989025.jpeg

45D4A57B-0E9A-4DD8-A0BA-DEED39874D4D.jpeg

08533770-5D29-4618-97BA-07B525BC341D.jpeg

802F63FA-35A1-4742-830F-BFA32890F9F3.jpeg

Last closeup is the really neat albeit fragile record of his service during the war.  Overall a very neat group that I’m glad is still together.  

67574532-E497-4D03-8129-B79D471DF615.jpeg

Kyle, great complete group, kudos to keeping it all together. I love the ring, telegram, 3rd division certificate and the photo of him in the uniform later in life. Great stuff, thanks for posting,

Mark

Super. Great grouping. The 3rd Division patch almost looks purple not blue. Makes you wonder if it could be due to the MG connection. Have not seen that before. Congrats 

BigJohn#3RD

Kyle,

Thanks for keeping this exceptional group together. That is one of the finest WWI Veteran grouping I have seen in some time. This is the first time that I have seen a 3rd Division Service Accolade. The accolade, pictures of the veteran through the years truly make it a one of a kind collection. Thanks for posting.

Best regards,

John

Nice grouping!  If anyone else has photos from the 8th MGB Occupation era - please let me know!  Have been looking for a photo of their dog mascot for years! 

2 hours ago, AustinO said:

Nice grouping!  If anyone else has photos from the 8th MGB Occupation era - please let me know!  Have been looking for a photo of their dog mascot for years! 

Austin - Would the dog be in the yard long or was it acquired in France/ Germany? 

15 hours ago, GIKyle said:

Austin - Would the dog be in the yard long or was it acquired in France/ Germany? 

The dog is pictured in the Company A yardlong taken in Germany 1919.  It certainly would have been acquired in Europe, not brought over.  There is a copy of the 1919 photo in the BN history - however its a halftone print so difficult to make out what kind of dog it was.   I have the mascot's coat in a large 8th MGB grouping in my collection.  

22 hours ago, AustinO said:

The dog is pictured in the Company A yardlong taken in Germany 1919.  It certainly would have been acquired in Europe, not brought over.  There is a copy of the 1919 photo in the BN history - however its a halftone print so difficult to make out what kind of dog it was.   I have the mascot's coat in a large 8th MGB grouping in my collection.  

Ufff - As you probably noticed, this soldier was in the MG Battalion's A Company but I do not believe he returned to his outfit from the hospital until after the yard long was taken.  Had he been present, the yard long likely would have been present. 

My search will continue!   I've tracked down photos of 6-7 3rd Division WWI dogs so far, but all have been excluded unfortunately.  

Again great grouping you've got.  It looks like he joined out of Kentucky, and they have WWI service cards, but the are not digitized and I think are unavailable for public use.  Worth looking into, if they're available and stored in Lousiville.