US collar device date?

AZPhil

Hello All,

I just went through the History of the collar disc and want to ask if

this US device is considered a Type IIIB and would be considered Post WW2?

I'm trying to get one for my Aunts WW2 WAC service blouse and I want to get it correct for WW2 period.

Semper Fi

Phil 

1523092474_UScollardevicefrontebay.jpg.dcbcf09ad6839d275fcc43549e998de2.jpg853984818_UScollardevicebackebay.jpg.9ae68e81f41dfc279818a2670f5d7bc4.jpg

Steve Brannan

Tuen the clutches over. WW2 clutches are smooth without “dimply”. The disc is WW2 era.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The presence of smooth-faced clutches will only confirm that the clutches are WWII.  They can help indicate that a piece MAY be WWII, but not confirm it because the clutches are often swapped between pieces leaving combinations of new and old, old clutches on new pieces, new clutches on older pieces, etc.

That disc is late-war or early post war and because of left-over wartime stocks were issued for many years after the war.

When worn on a uniform, they are indistinguishable from known wartime discs.  U.S. disks are quite easy to find and I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Finding confirmed wartime WAC disks will be your biggest problem.

Thank you Steve Brannan

One clutch is smooth and one has the dimples.

The dimpled one is what had me wondering if this was a later made US collar device

Thanks again.

Semper Fi

Phil

Steve B.

I did pick up this WAC device and both clutches are smooth, But understand they can be swapped out. I did take a look at the one that is on my Aunt's uniform and it has the same type back.

1241837736_WACcollardevicefront.jpg.a787868217ab7d63d170e642df8df2f1.jpg1153351709_WACcollardeviceback.jpg.c8a6375c1d3725dc8afd3478fc0300de.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it, man.  Find an early clutch if it bothers you, and call it good.  I for one would accept those disks on a WWII uniform as being legitimate.

They both seem to be slightly CONVEX, that means 1950s-1960s, believe it or not this type of stamped discs were still being worn by some in the 60s.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to be absolutely sure, get one that has a steel or zinc inlay on the back where the pins are attached to. Those were definitely used during WWII.

On 3/13/2021 at 11:25 PM, patches said:

They both seem to be slightly CONVEX, that means 1950s-1960s, believe it or not this type of stamped discs were still being worn by some in the 60s.

I was issued two of that type of disk in 1970 in basic training. They were available at the Clothing Sales Store as well. I and others in my unit on Okinawa wore that style of  "U.S." and Air Defense Artillery disks in 1971, too. 

3 hours ago, atb said:

I was issued two of that type of disk in 1970 in basic training. They were available at the Clothing Sales Store as well. I and others in my unit on Okinawa wore that style of  "U.S." and Air Defense Artillery disks in 1971, too. 

Yes we mentioned this a couple of times  like here.