Preston Gibson, WW1 American Ambulance Corps, USMC

Eric Queen

It wasn't cheap but I bought this yesterday from a Forum Sponsor. It is an original 8 x 10 private studio portrait (Walter Scott Studio, New York) of socialite Preston Gibson who was one of the first Americans to volunteer to fight in WW1. First as a volunteer with the French Ambulance Corps then later with section 7 of the American Ambulance Corps. He spent three (3) years in France and later joined the Marines as a recruiter. 

Anyone who knows me will know why I had to have the photo............

Preston Gibson.jpg

Here is an article and additional images found on line. 

He’s Lieut. Preston GIBSON of the Marines "For Life!"

The Life of a Social Butterfly Was Too Insipid to Suit Him—The Roll Top Desk

Had No Lure, but War Has Given Him Not Only Decorations for Bravery and a Commission in the (several words destroyed) Opening for a Life Career to his Liking

(By Robert Neville)

The battalion has replaced the cotillon [sic] and the patriotic speech the play in the life of Lieut. Preston GIBSON of the Marine Corps. The Lieutenant received his commission in the corps yesterday, within three months of the time that he had enlisted as a private, for valuable service in recruiting.

Lieut. GIBSON, the most dashing leader that New York’s social set has had in years, at the same time that he took his new oath yesterday made a vow to himself such as the Knights Templars and Knights of St. John made of old.

He has retired from the life of luxury and gayety, and has adopted the insignia of the Marines for life. He is no longer an aristocrat but a democrat, and his life is consecrated to our principles of democracy.

"The Marine Corps is the finest service on earth," he declared to-day. "It is the finest life on earth, too. In fact, it’s the only life, and I intend to remain in it the remainder of my days.

"I really never was strong on social life except in the newspapers. Now I’m through with all of it. Of course I don’t expect to give up my friends. But the idle life—yes!

"The war is going to do the same thing with a great many other men. Why, it has made democrats of all the aristocrats and aristocrats of all the democrats.

"When I was in the French Army I met Gifford COCHRAN, an extremely wealthy New Yorker, and a private in the same regiment, digging ditches one day, and he stopped me to ask if I had a newspaper. He wanted to see if his mare had won the Futurity back home. It was the biggest race of the year, with stakes of possibly $20,000, and the owner was sweating over a spade."

Lieut. GIBSON was one of the first Americans to get into the European war. He entered the French Ambulance Corps shortly after Belgium was invaded and for the next three years served constantly with that service and the American Ambulance Corps. He received the Croix de Guerre with two notations for conduct in the battle of Chemin des Dames, and was cited for bravery in the attack before St. Quentin a year ago last August.

When he returned to America he applied for a commission and was given a captaincy in the Signal Corps. As he expressed it:

"I have always been an active man and the ‘arm-chair-fee-on-desk’ life didn’t appeal to me. I knew I should be unhappy and consequently of little service. A friend told me that the Marines were the most active people in the world, so I enlisted as a private and gave up the commission."

Lieut. GIBSON is the son of the late Senator Randall Lee GIBSON of Louisiana and a nephew of Chief Justice Edward D. WHITE of the United States Supreme Court. He is related to Mrs. William F. DRAPER, whose husband was formerly Ambassador to Italy. He has had two unsuccessful ventures into matrimony. In 1900 he married Miss Minna FIELD, niece of Marshall FIELD of Chicago, after a romance dating from schooldays. After the couple were divorced he married the belle of the season of 1909. She was Miss Grace McMillan JARVIS, a niece of Lady HARRINGTON and a granddaughter of the late Senator McMILLAN of Michigan. They were divorced in 1917.

The new Lieutenant is a successful playwright and author. He has written a number of plays that have been produced on Broadway, and his Kentucky Negro stories have gained great popularity. He wrote a war book immediately upon his return from Europe.

His greatest work, however, has been in gaining recruits for the Marines. In thirteen days, during one tour, he secured 3,200 recruits. This equals the record enlistment in the British mission in the same towns in four months. At a Liberty Loan speech at the Hippodrome last week he raised $163,000.

He will continue his work with the Marine Publicity and Recruiting Services for the immediate future, but it is always with the hope that he will be sent "over there" to get into the fight.

G_1990_53b-242-lr-225x300.jpg

1world_10_20_18.jpg