"Fancy Hat" of Gen. William Wallace Robinson, Jr. - Need help with Pattern and info

stratasfan

*Admin note - I am posting this for @illinigander - This is his hat, and all your information can be pointed at him! I am just helping since he can't post pictures!*

--------------------

Brig. Gen. W.W. Robinson's small grouping contained several 1880's uniform items, and his 20th century hat appeared at an estate sale  Another collector took the, US 7th Cav. uniform parts, but passed on the hat.  Several weeks later I checked and the hat was available at a fair price.  This note was included.  "Heitmann's Historical Register, 1903. page 839.  Robinson was transferred from 3rd Cavalry to the 7th Cavalry  June 26, 1876 (I assume this transfer was back-dated to the time of Custer's disaster, as he was not present there.)  Was in 7th till 1887, remained in the army, retiring as a BG. Date?

My request is to find the pattern of the hat, and any further info about Robinson's service. Any help or comments are appreciated! 

-Illinigander

Photos of the hat and hat box:

IMG_8873.jpg

IMG_8874.jpg

IMG_8877.jpg

IMG_8876.jpg

IMG_8879.jpg

IMG_8878.jpg

Here is a bit more info about General Robinson, including the Heitmann's Register bit:

Heitmann's Register -

VfqM1KT07xLDOMkBR7kNZQWl4_sovX6_1Gw9tmJO

image.png

His FindAGrave memorial has pictures and a nice bio:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/44061949/william-wallace-robinson

From FindAGrave - Brig. Gen. William Wallace Robinson, Jr., son of Col. William Wallace Robinson and Sarah Jane Fisk, was b. Apr. 2, 1846 at Cleveland, OH and d. on Mar. 24, 1917 at Walter Redd Hospital in Washington, DC, Æ 71. He was twice married. By his first wife he had a son Edward. He m. second circa 1887 Minnie Lane ten Eyck, dau. of Theodore ten Eyck and Martha, b. Apr. 29, 1850 at Brown County, Wisconsin and d. on March 22, 1923, Æ 73. They had no children.

Due to the service of his father Col. Robinson, the colonel was given the alternative of a commission as Brigadier General or a scholarship for his son at West Point. Col. William chose the latter for his son's advantage with the appointment made to West Point in July of 1864, but the enrollment was deferred until 1865. In the meantime, William Jr. mustered into Co. E. of the 7th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry on Mar. 17, 1865 and mustered out on July 3, 1865.

William Wallace Robinson, Jr. spent his early career in the 3rd and 7th U.S. Cavalry in Arizona and Kansas. In 1876 he was assigned to the 7th Cavalry at Fort Riley, Kansas and spent time in the Dakota Territories. He was later transferred to the Quartermaster Corps and in 1896 was assigned to oversee the building of Fort Lawton in Seattle, Washington. While he desired a command during the Spanish-American War, he was considered too valuable as a quartermaster as he was then in command of all shipments of personnel and material from the west coast of the U.S. to Alaska and the Philipines. In June 1900 he was residing at Fort Lawton at Seattle.

William Wallace Robinson, Jr's son Edward followed him at West Point and served in the U.S. Cavalry during the Spanish-American War. Edward d. in 1912 from appendicitis at Ft. Bliss, Texas and is buried at the Ft. Lawton cemetery along with his grandfather Col. William Wallace Robinson, Sr.

After serving more than 41 years, William Wallace Robinson, Jr. retired in 1910 as Assistant Quartermaster General of the U.S. Army with the rank of Brigidier General. He and his second wife Minnie are interred at Section 2, grave 1075, at Arlington National Cemetery in Washington, DC.

44061949_125766201127.jpg 

lt-w-w-robinson-in-camp-at-fort-riley-18

First Lieutenant William W. Robinson, Jr., at target range camp at the Fort Riley, Kansas in 1888.

image.png

c.1905

A couple more links with info about him:

https://armyatwoundedknee.com/2014/09/24/first-lieutenant-william-wallace-robinson-jr-adjutant-2nd-battalion-7th-cavalry/

http://pcad.lib.washington.edu/image/2185/

https://emergingcivilwar.com/2020/09/03/the-immortal-17-civil-war-veterans-on-the-active-army-list-in-1909-part-1/

illinigander

Thank you stratasfan for all your help on my account.  I seem to have forgotten that the inside of the hat is also marked: Genunine Russian Warnock, for all you folks who might know what that is.  I assume some type of fabric?

illinigander

Pointedcuffs

Hello, Very nice cap! bosshark is correct. !902 pattern full dress cap for General officer. Very nice cap!

• 2 years later...
illinigander

Another Gen. Robinson Jr-  I recently obtained this photograph showing Gen Robinson circa 1880's.  I think that at this time his rank is Captain in the US Seventh Cavalry.  I do not know who the original collector of this grouping was.  By the time I saw the grouping, there was no uniform, and a family member had "obtained" one of the 7th Cavalry shoulder tabs as seen in the photo of the photo.  The only item left was the "Fancy m/1902 Hat" when I saw the remains of this grouping.  Thanks to stratasfan for the General's added info, and to robinb for once again posting a photo for me.

illinigander

• 4 months later...

hi i am very interested in W W ROBINSON JR,,,any way to get copy of the photo of him..also  any documents or items from him that are 4 sale  thank you  charles..

• 1 month later...

charlessp - I could try and take another photo of that photo for you.  I am not set up to do quality photography.  I know of no paper work that came with the grouping which was sold to an ILL collector in the early '70's.  I bought the hat in 2021 at a house sale.  A friend has the remaining 7th Cav. shoulder strap and perhaps a few other items.  What is your interest in the fellow?

illinigander

copy of photo,,maby wal-mart or fed-x can produce copy on good paper,,i will pay for whatever ,,, thanks,,i started collecting/re-enacting indian war items 60/70..then moved to tenn did same with mex war .collect/re-act..now wife sez down size stuff,,did lots i.w.in arzona,did Custer battlefield rides,re-act,,ft sill.washata,tejon,ft apache,,want to focus one room collection,,have a doc from 3rd/7th cav,,so  the ROBINSON  family covers =mex/civil/indian war..decided they will be what i build collection around  love the i.w. time period,,as,, i did lots re-enact on west sites..so..if you know of any ROBINSON items for sale,,and if i can contact your friend and view his items  ....maby he will sell so as to buy other items  ...also  just visited WEST POINT  where ROBINSON grad in 69..in 7tv cav his friend was MATHEY  in 3rd cav his friend was SMEAD looking for items from them also  thank you very much  maby i have some trade items if your friend decides to sell/re-collect  thanks..

charlesp- Hello- The photo is in a 8x10 frame.  I will take it out of the frame and get it copied.  Do you want a close up of him also in the that photo?  Would there be any reason to get a photo of the metal hat box?  I will have my wife take photos with her camera and you can see what you think.   This is a busy time, so you may have to press me.

Ken

• 2 months later...
charlesp

hi anyone have any W.W.ROBINSON  JR. items for sale?..thanks

illinigander

The photo is taken through glass into the case and is not great.  Are you going to The Baltimore show this weekend?

illinigander

charlesp

hi thanks for reply im in florida,gunna visit TOMBSTONE  this weekend,,but hope you would get me any address of any indian war document collector  im lookinf for doc signed by 2 and 10 th cavalry  and of course,,w w robinson  thanks and enjoy show..