Artillery Angle of Site Instrument Model of 1917

Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Everyone,

I was driving past a junk shop today, one that I'd passed by many times before, and decided to take a look today. It is one of those stores that are piled high with old forgotten household items, bric-a-brac, figurines, chachkas, and just plain junk. You can hardly turn around without knocking something over and the few militaria items were either fakes or common modern pieces.

As I was leaving, my 'Salvage senses' started tingling when I noticed a display case in the back corner that I'd passed up. On the top shelf was a leather case that I immediately knew was early century military, hopefully US issue.

001.jpg

005.jpg

003.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Inspector's Mark: Stamped US INSPR-WL NO-859

Stamped '18' on bottom for 1918

012.jpg

014.jpg

Salvage Sailor

According to 'America's Munitions 1917-1918' published by the United States War Department, there were 4,401 of these Angle of Site instruments made and delivered by November 11th, 1918. Atwater Kent was the only manufacturer and they completed the entire order of 4,468 by February 20th, 1919.

016.jpg

019.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Thanks, I enjoy the hunt.

In doing some research on this instrument and it's usage by US Artillery Battery Officers, the following is from 'Manual for the Artillery Orientation Officer' published in 1917, oddly by the Department of the Interior?

Angle of Site or briefly, Site: The vertical angle between the line from gun to target and the horizontal line passing through the site of the gun.

The 'Angle of Site Instrument' has an eyepiece that looks into a 90 degree mirror reflecting the 'bubble' in the level glass on top. Adjustment is made by the wheel on top of the instrument to set the level (angle of site) of the gun tube.

• 11 years later...
Salvage Sailor

Eleven year bump for the newer members and collectors.....

Apparently these Angle of Sight Instruments were still in the Army inventory on the eve of WWII as seen in this April 1941 Technical manual

Tech Manual 00a.jpg

Tech Manual 01a.jpg

Tech Manual 02a.jpg