POW ETO photos

Hs132

Hello, are there any photos that were taken inside a WW2 Stalag by the actual POW? Ive been told in the past that on occasion a US POW would barter for a camera and film and take photos secretly of fellow POWs. Best, Bill Bourque

• 2 weeks later...

I‘m sure there are. You see photos of stalags occasionally  that must have been taken by the POWs themselves.

I ask as about 20 years ago I viewed a Vets scrapbook of pics from when he was in one of the Stalags. He told me an Air photographer who also was shot down and in the same stalag was able to barter with a guard for a German camera and film. He then I believe took 70 pics or so secretly in camp and of everyone else more or less there. He got everyone’s US address and after the War was able to sell them all a series of copies. I’m trying to contact the family as I’ve known some of his relatives. Somewhere out there are more sets. Best, Bill

The Rooster

The book Clipped wings. RW Kimball.... All the photos were taken inside the stalag the great escape took place in.

Kimball paid a German guard to take the pictures so that he could make a year book after the war. The guard took the pics and Kimball kept his word

and published the book.

There was a POW named Angelo Spinelli who did take photos inside the camp he was in:

https://www.amazon.com/Life-Behind-Barbed-Wire-Photographs/dp/0823223051

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1988-01-13-8801030404-story.html

He was good friends with a POW who "group" I own and I have some original prints of photos he took that are not published in the book in this link.

Kurt

I also have copies of the photo group that was sold by the POW you mentioned in your initial post to his friends, He took them in Stalag 7A at Mossberg.  7A is where the POWs from Stalag Luft 3 moved to in January 1945.

Kurt

Thank you all for your help. I seem to remember only one specific photo. It was of a secret POW radio hidden in the bottom of a water bucket just like in the movie Stalag 17. Best, Bill