Chaplain Knox Herndon

I attended Knox’s funeral yesterday. Retired Chaplain Colonel Knox Herndon. We did many parades, air shows and veterans events over the years. We both served in the 82nd back in 1980. Fascinating man...his father was a minister and served in the merchant marine making 25 trips across the Atlantic, he then joined the Army and became the first glider infantry chaplain, gliding into Normandy. Knox followed in his footsteps, becoming an Army Chaplain in the mid 70’s, serving much time with the Airborne, retiring in the early 90’s. 84526AAE-9C52-4D4F-A1A5-A0AD16588C05.jpeg.8e64c70692dce1711b3c2c919e56c156.jpeg

I found a paragraph about Knox’s father. It conflicts with the 325th information. “ Chaplain Robert Burns Herndon was the first glider chaplain of the 88th Glider Regiment “. Which one would be correct? It appears the 325th and the 88th were in separate divisions. 

• 4 weeks later...

So sad to hear this.

Knox was a good man who loved the Lord and the Army.  Knox was a Division Chaplain in Alaska.  

He would display his father's uniform and he said that someone took of the glider wings on the uniform.

• 3 weeks later...

Found a paragraph about Knox’s father. It conflicts with the 325th information. “ Chaplain Robert Burns Herndon was the first glider chaplain of the 88th Glider Regiment “. Which one would be correct? It appears the 325th and the 88th were in separate divisions. 

It appears that are both correct. I bought some scrapbooks at Mr. Herndons estate sale and there were some photos of his father in them. One shows him wearing 88th DIs and another a 82nd patch

IMG_7175.jpeg

IMG_7176.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems Knox was well known and appreciated. Pastor Pete at my church remembers Knox from the early 80’s at Bragg. Pastor Pete, his Airborne wife, Knox and myself all served in the 82nd in the late 70’s early 80’s.