USMC M1904 Haversack w/ EGA Stamp

m1a2u2

I recently handled one just like the above haversack a friend purchased a couple of months ago.  My best guess would be that someone in the last 50 years made a stencil to make a $30 haversack into a $90 haversack.  The EGA on the bag I handled seemed to be spray painted on and didn't seem to show wear matching the bag.  

My research indicates that any bags purchased from Watervliet or RIA prior to the Philadelphia Depot making haversacks, were stenciled USM or USMC.  The USMC didn't get US marked haversacks as a general rule.  There is a possibility that during WWI that when the Army Ordnance Department was buying up surplus haversacks to issue to recruits, a batch went to a Marine Depot and got issued. Marines were not prone to putting huge EGAs on web gear though.  So unless someone has a period photo, I'd probably fall back on my original opinion of it being added much later.

4 hours ago, jprostak said:

I recently handled one just like the above haversack a friend purchased a couple of months ago.  My best guess would be that someone in the last 50 years made a stencil to make a $30 haversack into a $90 haversack.  The EGA on the bag I handled seemed to be spray painted on and didn't seem to show wear matching the bag.  

My research indicates that any bags purchased from Watervliet or RIA prior to the Philadelphia Depot making haversacks, were stenciled USM or USMC.  The USMC didn't get US marked haversacks as a general rule.  There is a possibility that during WWI that when the Army Ordnance Department was buying up surplus haversacks to issue to recruits, a batch went to a Marine Depot and got issued. Marines were not prone to putting huge EGAs on web gear though.  So unless someone has a period photo, I'd probably fall back on my original opinion of it being added much later.

Thanks. Sounds like I may need to have a chat with your friend. Alec shows one in his book but there is no explanation on it. 

This is one of the USMC marked M1904 haversacks with snaphooks.  Production records from Rock Island show that 3000 were produced in fiscal 1909 and 4000 in fiscal 1910.  This one is dated 1910.  This, I believe is what Alec Tulkoff is referencing in the above text.  He states that there is a purchase order from May 1908, which was probably produced in fiscal 1909, which starts July 1 during this time period.  

IMG_3901.JPG

ArchangelDM

Late 50s added EGA often seen on map cases for some reason. Saw a WW2 issues map case with the same stencil