WW2 Clutch back Lt. bar

Ray42

So this may be a stupid question but did the AAF use clutch back lt. bars in WW2? I have an ETO jacket named to a pilot that had a pair of clutch back bars on his shoulder and I have been trying to replace them but have been having trouble finding a pair that I am confident are from the ww2 era. I am wondering if I am on a wild goose chase and the Vet decorated his jacket post war using replacement items or if there were some Lt. bars that were made in clutch back and I just do not know what I am looking for. 

If anyone knows if these items exist I would appreciate it.  Thanks.

They did use them. The clutch backs get replaced over time. The ones I have are flat backs in silver. Flat backs do not have the four dimples modern ones have.

qELT7fswLmqATnTZZUFalQ.jpg

Ray, if you could post a pic of the Lt bars and the accompanying clutches you have it might be useful in identification.

As shown in the post above there were some styles of clutch back used in WW2.

I unfortunately do not have a pair, they were missing from the jacket and I have been trying to find period replacements. I have been looking off and on for a few years now and have never found a pair I thought was real.

I do have a single clutch back that was caught under the coats epaulets, I never thought to check to see what era it was from. I will post that to see if I need a wartime or post-war pair. 

thank you both.

Sure, and here's the Air Corps Officer Branch of Service collar badge, in clutch back, the clutches on this one being the WWII Flat Face Patent Pending or Patent types.

wart.jpg