Model 65 Reising 22 cal

Kansas Raider

Kansas Raider

I have a Model 65 Reising, my question is, was it one of the guns in the military contract to the Marine Corps? Here is what it says in the barrel.

MOD - 65 H&R Reising 22Cal

Harrington & Richardson Arms Co

Worchester, Mass U.S.A.

The serial number is 5180

20210311_170956_resized.jpg

20210311_170939_resized.jpg

20210311_170856_resized.jpg

I don't know a whole lot about these, but the general consensus is that serial numbers 1 through about 6000 are Military versions.

I have seen some of these marked USMC or something to that affect, but never found one in my price range that was so marked. 

I had a model 65 Leatherneck that was a later commercial version. Was a fun gun to shoot and have along side of the subgun. Your gun has the GI style front sight which the later commercial versions lacked.  It appears your screw in rear sight aperture is missing, but that is replaceable.  Your gun is a nice find and the issue model I always wanted. 

I liked shooting the one I had... just a neat little gun.

Charlie Flick

The H&R M65 and MC-58 trainers have a large following here and elsewhere.  Our fellow member Dalbert has an extensive Database on these guns and is, I believe, working on a book about them.

There is also a very long running thread over on Gunboards about these guns that answers many questions.  Here is the link:  

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/harrington-and-richardson-h-r-mc-58-model-65-modified-usmc-22-trainer.7303/ 

Hope that helps.  

Regards,

Charlie

Kansas Raider

Hi Charlie, thanks for the info. I also have a USMC Property MC 58 serial number 6392, My lights just went out so I will take pictures tomorrow. Steve

• 3 months later...

I have this serial number recorded previously, and it was shared by member "110th engineer" on the CMP forums.  It was probably a USMC gun, though the records have not been found, but have been traditionally rumored to be the first 6000 rifles.  I'd like to see a better photo of the barrel, as the perspective of the photo shared here makes it look like the barrel is shorter than normal.  It's probably just the angle of the photo.

USMC was not marked by the factory on Model 65's, though some of the MC-58's were factory marked to indicate USMC.

David Albert

[email protected]

• 8 months later...

Hello, I picked up this model 65 at our local spring home show yesterday. I tried searching the web but not much info is available for the later models. It’s not military marked and the serial number is in the 18k range. Looks to have been refinished (?) but is complete with red field sight no extra holes etc. so for the price I picked it up. Any ideas or comments what it might be. I see varying comments regarding parked verse blued etc. regards 

519D2157-7272-49E3-8805-8021CD0BE5FD.jpeg

FE26C2C0-2094-4D90-8487-C5186BA5326E.jpeg

78158FC3-EDCE-499C-A092-05C75B6E992D.jpeg

45095A98-DCF5-44C6-8410-3009CDB240C3.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2021 at 6:07 AM, SubgunFun said:

I had a model 65 Leatherneck that was a later commercial version. Was a fun gun to shoot and have along side of the subgun. Your gun has the GI style front sight which the later commercial versions lacked.  It appears your screw in rear sight aperture is missing, but that is replaceable.  Your gun is a nice find and the issue model I always wanted. 

I liked shooting the one I had... just a neat little gun.

I once saw one at a garage sale along with 3 other .22's. The guy used them to train Boy Scouts. Try as I might , I couldn't get him to part with the USMC marked Model 65.