Smooth side 1858 NY Depot canteen opinions

M24 Chaffee

Hello, I posted this on one other website and it received nice comments but I’d like to share it here also. I believe this is an all original Civil War canteen that was used post war. I have a few questions and I would appreciate any comments or opinions.
What I see is -
-The spout is not maker marked. This would usually indicate an earlier made canteen.
-Attached New York Depot style chain link stopper.
-Smooth sides.
-I think it has its original Civil War era strap.
-The strap is marked “T.F. Bayles / US Inspector. I found information that this person inspected canteens from January 1864 till May of 1865.
-One side has the number 77.
-The other side looks like it has crossed rifles, ( I compared it to photos of other examples) a number 3, maybe a letter and I can’t make out the rest? From what I understand these markings would indicate post war use. 

This canteen doesn’t show the alterations done to most Civil War surplus canteens (that I’ve seen) that were used in the Indian Wars. I would guess that they were also reused without being altered?

There’s no way to be sure but I suppose this could have been used during the Civil War and continued being used (as is) post war.
Would the possible post war markings affect the value/collector interest one way or the other or not make a difference?

I’ll include a group of photos and I’d be happy to add more if needed.

Thanks for checking this out!
Frank 

FDA873A8-C780-4D6D-A1D2-3F1C96F74E2F.jpeg

A353FFD6-3ED2-4E39-B26A-687C9AB57B2D.jpeg

9CA6D327-B7EE-4B11-BFE4-8A4511A61A11.jpeg

6E87283A-5ACD-4AA6-BD8D-1F579FA340B6.jpeg

34B8D189-6631-4705-A6F6-89733C6C6975.jpeg

USCapturephotos

It looks like an unaltered smooth side canteen to me. I would agree that the crossed rifles shows it had life after the Civil War. Not sure how much that would impact value, but would make it a little less desirable for a Civil War collector. Hope that helps.

Paul

M24 Chaffee
4 hours ago, USCapturephotos said:

It looks like an unaltered smooth side canteen to me. I would agree that the crossed rifles shows it had life after the Civil War. Not sure how much that would impact value, but would make it a little less desirable for a Civil War collector. Hope that helps.

Paul

Hi Paul, thank you for your comment. I like the fact that it’s a complete (probably as issued) ACW canteen with an original, complete strap and stopper. Some other serious ACW collectors that have seen it felt that the visible post war markings did not detract from its ACW value or desirability. I feel that it adds a little more interest to its history but I was interested to see what some other collectors thought. I’m sure it depends on the collector. I’m not looking to sell this but if I ever do I wanted to get some other opinions.

Best regards,

Frank

USCapturephotos

Sure thing Frank. By the way, we must be close by to each other as I am also "near Philadelphia". Take care.

Paul

M24 Chaffee
16 hours ago, USCapturephotos said:

Sure thing Frank. By the way, we must be close by to each other as I am also "near Philadelphia". Take care.

Paul

14 hours ago, mdk0911 said:

very nice canteen - these are tough to find with the original strap and cover - me too live near philly

Thanks for the comments and nice to hear from some “near Philly neighbors”!!

Frank

USCapturephotos
7 minutes ago, M24 Chaffee said:

Thanks for the comments and nice to hear from some “near Philly neighbors”!!

Frank

Would be fun to talk and connect w another like minded collector. You go to Allentown shows at all?

M24 Chaffee

12 minutes ago, USCapturephotos said:

Would be fun to talk and connect w another like minded collector. You go to Allentown shows at all?

Because of my work I’m not able to get to the Allentown or other shows near by very often. But I have been there a few times and was able to pick up a few nice pieces there. Feel free to PM me or I can PM you as well.

USCapturephotos
10 minutes ago, M24 Chaffee said:

Because of my work I’m not able to get to the Allentown or other shows near by very often. But I have been there a few times and was able to pick up a few nice pieces there. Feel free to PM me or I can PM you as well.

Sounds good Frank.

Strap looks correct and in pretty good condition, nice to see a full cork stopper as well.  A fine displayable example, nice buy! 

M24 Chaffee
2 hours ago, AustinO said:

Strap looks correct and in pretty good condition, nice to see a full cork stopper as well.  A fine displayable example, nice buy! 

Thanks AustinO, I wanted a canteen to display on a mannequin and the strap on this is in nice enough condition to do it. I’m using fishing line to support the weight of the canteen on the mannequin and the strap drapes complete and stress free slung over the shoulder. 

22 hours ago, M24 Chaffee said:

Thanks AustinO, I wanted a canteen to display on a mannequin and the strap on this is in nice enough condition to do it. I’m using fishing line to support the weight of the canteen on the mannequin and the strap drapes complete and stress free slung over the shoulder. 

Brilliant conservation technique.  Preserve that strap for sure, having a non-broken strap makes all the difference when you decide to sell it. 

Agree with capture photos-- markings make it less desirable for Civil War collectors.  Don't think it would have a huge impact on price, but I'd still expect to pay a little less than for one without post- war markings.

Scott (Not in Philly!)

M24 Chaffee
18 hours ago, scottiques said:

Agree with capture photos-- markings make it less desirable for Civil War collectors.  Don't think it would have a huge impact on price, but I'd still expect to pay a little less than for one without post- war markings.

Scott (Not in Philly!)

Hi Scott (Not in Philly!) lol,

Thanks for your comment. I would think that some CW collectors may not want to see the markings. I’ve also gotten comments from serious CW collectors that the completeness of this canteen and that it wasn’t altered from its original CW condition (all 3 sling guides, original cover, strap and stopper still present) that it would still be appealing. Also, showing honest usage (Post war and possible ACW as well) would make it a little more interesting than a non used Bannerman surplus canteen. 
This wasn’t an inexpensive canteen but I’ve seen complete ones without postwar markings going for more or sometimes less depending on condition or provenance. 
I forgot to include this photo of the inspector mark on the strap. T.F. Bayles / US Inspector (New York too worn to see) I found information that this person inspected canteens from January 1864 till May of 1865 for the New York depot. 

1A49CBEB-9E1F-4159-A805-5A04048954DD.jpeg