Frank Baldwin photo

Hello

Received this recently and thought I would post on the Indian War board.

This is a photo of Frank D. Baldwin and his wife Alice circa 1867, approx.

Frank Baldwin was a double Medal of Honor recipient, one in the Civil War Peachtree Creek and Indian Wars for the rescue of two of the German girls held by Indians.

This photo was presented to a Major but I can not make out the the name and have yet to find it in Heitman.

If you have either of the books by  Alice Baldwin, "Memoirs of Major General Frank D. Baldwin" or "An Army Wife on the Frontier" there is a photo of the two with Alice sitting and Frank standing with what appears to be the same clothes, at least Alice has the same dress on, both photos in the books are captioned Jan. 1867.

Below are the citations

FIRST MEDAL OF HONOR:

Led his company in a countercharge at Peach Tree Creek, Ga., 12 July 1864, under a galling fire ahead of his own men, and singly entered the enemy’s line, capturing and bringing back 2 commissioned officers, fully armed, besides a guidon of a Georgia regiment.

SECOND AWARD

Rescued, with 2 companies, 2 white girls by a voluntary attack upon Indians whose superior numbers and strong position would have warranted delay for reinforcements, but which delay would have permitted the Indians to escape and kill their captives.

Lt Frank and Alice Baldwin double MOH CDV obverse.jpg

Lt Frank and Alice Baldwin double MOH CDV reverse.jpg

Thanks Beast very good info there

I will have to try and look up the details of his dismissal and the capture of his daughter

Don