Questions on Navy Continuous Service Certificate

usmedalman

I am transcribing the USS Raleigh roll for June 30, 1898 (April 1 - June 30) and have noticed a column for recording the CSC number.  Usually there is just a number, but sometimes it is preceeded by an A., and sometimes by A.S.G. and also sometimes there is just the letter A. in the column opposite the name. Can anyone explain what the letters mean? Thanks in advance.

For those who may be interested I will add the number to this post once I am done transcribing the roll.

22 hours ago, aerialbridge said:

Can you post a shot showing the column?

Here is a shot on the page showing the column heading

IMG_3871.JPG

aerialbridge

I see the name of the individual with the "A"    Masselo Panayote -- [Service Number] 001162899, [Date of Enlistment] 06/29/1897

Usually that is a first enlistment date but not always, your actual muster roll probably confirms which.   Too bad  there is no legend to say what A or that A or ASC stands for.  Maybe "applied" and "already signed contract", if it's a c not a g?  This article is from July 1892.

Continuous Service .jpg

I just got done with the Nashville rolls for June 1899 and see that the same CSC formatting is used there as well. Attached is a good picture of all the various formats I have come across: a plain CSC number, the letter A with no number following, the A followed by a CSC number, and the initials A.S.G. followed by a CSC number.

Nashville 6 crop.jpg

The Nashville roll has a cover page and I just discovered the answer to my question. "Continuous service men must be designated by the number of their certificates; those who have qualified as Seamen Gunners, by the letters "S.G." over the number of Continuous Service Certificate; men who entered the service as apprentices and served during minority, by the letter "A" in the column headed "No. of Continuous Service Certificate." SO, as I understand it, these are the possible notations in the CSC No. column.

no CSC # = someone who is under a first enlistment and is not in their minority, or someone who did not re-enlist within three months of their discharge.

CSC# only = someone who has re-enlisted after completing their first enlistment and did not enlist in their minority.

A = service under a first enlistment as an apprentice in their minority.

A / CSC # = service by someone who has re-enlisted after completing their first enlistment as an apprentice in their minority.

S.G. = someone serving a first enlistment who is not in their minority and has qualified as a Seaman Gunner.

S.G. / CSC # = service by someone who has re-enlisted after completing their first non-minority enlistment and qualified as a Seaman Gunner.

A.S.G. = someone serving a first enlistment who is in their minority and has qualified as a Seaman Gunner.

A.S.G. / CSC# = service by someone who has re-enlisted after completing their first minority enlistment and qualified as a Seaman Gunner