JR Gaunt London Jump Wings

Hi guys,

I don't usually collect Brit made wings but this Gaunt piece was given to me today. I think it looks how a wartime wing should but I can't be 100% sure.

Is it a good one??

Cheers 

Dave

20210310_161346.jpg

20210310_161409.jpg

Hi David, I saw this post and wanted to get back to you sooner, but forgot.

I would do a careful search for Gaunt jump wings and fakes on this forum.  There are a couple of things to look out for:

1) the Gaunt hallmarks on the good wings are usually assumed to be horizontally oriented on the back and found relatively close to the edge of the parachute divot on the back.  Fakes have a tilt to the right and are not level--also they tend to be located farther down from the parachute divot.  It could be the angle of the wing, but my impression is that you're wing has that tilted hallmark.

2) the risers on the front of a "good" Gaunt wing are even sized and all converge at a single point at the bottom of the parachute.  The fakes have some gaps/breaks in the risers and a number of the risers merge above the bottom of the parachute or end before merging at the bottom.  There are also some flaws in the upper risers and on the parachute itself.

3) There seem to be now 3rd and 4th generation fakes out there that have addressed some of the previous flaws.  But all things considered, this isn't like the normal ones I see that I believe to be vintage.

Thanks for replying Patrick. In the couple of days since I posted this I have used the time to do some research and came across a few posts of yours and others here regarding Gaunt jump wings. I had come to the conclusion that unfortunately these wings didn't match the accepted type.

As I mentioned in my initial post I don't usually collect British manufactured US wings as I prefer the American made ones, luckily this wing was free so no loss now that its turned out to be a restrike. 

Thanks again mate.

Patience will usually give you what you are looking for eventually.  I personally avoid Brit made jump wings unless they are VERY cheap.  And even then, I tread carefully

• 1 year later...

I saw this current listing for a set of J. R. Gaunt jump wings. I’m wondering about the authenticity of them as the hallmark is canted down to the right. Opinions would be appreciated. 

3383408E-1EDC-4BD8-A658-89666D980DD9.jpeg

599B4884-3D36-488C-8197-D5439DFD5D41.jpeg

3DFCCC28-9E92-48FD-91C2-CD5743663C31.jpeg

5835990C-4947-4488-94C2-45BDEB9AFABD.jpeg

B5D64563-F39A-4100-AB56-DB08FEBE44ED.jpeg

You are correct in that this particular one (Post 5) with the slightly canted hallmark is considered a reproduction.  However I am now wary of the ones with the correct hallmark and pin back assembly due to the folks in the UK who have been making them over the years.  They have had more than enough time to correct their mistakes as they read our posts.  A lot of these British made US paratrooper wings do not have any finish and look somewhat mint in condition yet have the correct pinback assemblies and hallmarks.  I will only buy them now with a finish that shows considerable wear for something that has been around for 70 plus years because I no longer trust the others.   

Thanks for the input. I have read the posts on the forum discussing what is and isn’t authentic Gaunt wings. I also am aware that because of the proliferation of so many fakes they have all become suspect unless they were received directly from a veteran. Thanks again for your opinion. Hopefully no one will make the mistake of pay the asking price for these. Thanks again.