AAF Silver Star Lot - Research Help?

tigerfan

I have this WWII AAF medal group with a nice hand engraved numbered silver star,  numbered DFC, numbered AM and numbered PH.  It has an interesting 8 Nov 1942 badge and I assume this group is early war.  After lots of searching I can't seem to find anything on this guy.  Can anyone help?  Thanks !

1kelly.jpg

1kellya.jpg

1kellyb.jpg

1kellyc.jpg

1kellyd.jpg

Looks like your man is 5th AAF

I will see what else I can find.  Really nice group!

Kurt

kelly.JPG

I see the card files show his address as Mich but according to NARA he enlisted in Rochester NY.  Not far from me.  Would be interesting to read the citation for his silver star.  

I wonder if the 8 Nov 1942 badge has something to do with Operation Torch?

16 minutes ago, tigerfan said:

I wonder if the 8 Nov 1942 badge has something to do with Operation Torch?

With the flags on it, I'm certain it was for Torch.

It's interesting...he earned his awards in the 5th AF but his medals and ribbons don't show any PTO service. 

It appears he earned the SS for a daylight raid on Rabaul on April 12 along with his fellow crewman. Apparently they were on three engines versus four with no other American planes in sight!

His DFC appears to be awarded for 200 hours of bomber operational flight missions against the Japanese.

That early , it was probably a B-17.  I am at work so I havent been able to research this deeper yet.

Most likely 19th or 43rd BG. 

Kurt

The date of April 12, 1943 corresponds with a Japanese operation called “I-Go” against Allied Forces in that area.  

Thanks !  I certainly didn't expect this much info.   I assume the Operation Torch souvenir probably was from some one else?

Just now, WWIIinterviews said:

Here is his PH. Kurt it is showing he earned his PH with the 17th BG?

4530002_148_1067.jpg

Possibly a different Richard Kelly.  The Kelly on the PH card has a different middle initial.

WWIIinterviews
13 minutes ago, tigerfan said:

Possibly a different Richard Kelly.  The Kelly on the PH card has a different middle initial.

Tiger it is. I tried to delete the post after I realized it. lol

So, Kelly's mother lived in Saginaw, MI, so that was his home of record. It appears that he was living in New York when he enlisted, but having no family in New York, listed his mother's home address.

Great grouping!

Allan