Nambu Type 14 Pistol bring back

Timberwolf

Picked this up yesterday from the vets son. Just the Nambu, he didn’t want to let go of his dogtag just yet but his brother is looking for a unit history he has. His dad served as an artillery FO and acquired this in the Philippines off the body of a dead officer. This one was produced in August of ‘39.

5955AA72-BD97-4009-ACC0-02C9576FB842.jpeg

9BF9F716-AD48-4846-BDAF-CFAA3A73808B.jpeg

579404E1-27DC-478A-AAD7-B4D4EF1FDF22.jpeg

USCapturephotos

Wow! Nice find. Hope they find the unit history or that you are able to find out more on the vet who brought it home. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Paul

USCapturephotos
1 minute ago, USCapturephotos said:

Wow! Nice find. Hope they find the unit history or that you are able to find out more on the vet who brought it home. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Paul

I wonder if the characters are the name of the officer who owned it? I have a contact in Japan and could ask for you.

Paul

Brian Dentino

Very nice bring back rig.  Great to have the holster with it.  I bought one about a year ago that was a bring back as well.  Wanted to get some ammo for it and shoot it (I shoot all my vintage military) but after looking online and checking out the action/functions of mine I have decided it will sit as a shelf queen.  Anyway, nice pick up.

50 minutes ago, USCapturephotos said:

I wonder if the characters are the name of the officer who owned it? I have a contact in Japan and could ask for you.

Paul

Yes, I actually have someone translating it out, but apparently it’s to a 2nd Lt.

8 hours ago, Brian Dentino said:

Very nice bring back rig.  Great to have the holster with it.  I bought one about a year ago that was a bring back as well.  Wanted to get some ammo for it and shoot it (I shoot all my vintage military) but after looking online and checking out the action/functions of mine I have decided it will sit as a shelf queen.  Anyway, nice pick up.

The ammo prices are absolutely nuts for them. I don't shoot my vintage firearms (shoot modern stuff though) so not a huge deal for me but I was definitely happy with this rig!

3 hours ago, katieony said:

A really interesting bring-back!  Thanks for posting!  

Thank you! The son was really happy it was going to a good home, and I was definitely glad to add it to the collection!

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, mkite93 said:

Very nice Nambu. Always nice when you can get something direct from the family. 

Thank you! It's definitely been a while since I've acquired anything locally.

On 3/21/2021 at 9:32 AM, jangle said:

A nice desirable T-14.  Made a month before going to the enlarged trigger guard in September '39.

Thank you for the info! I was trying to figure out if this was a somewhat transitional gun.

• 2 months later...
Timberwolf

Little bit of an update on this. Vets son found a card his dad had typed up in at least the 1980’s on how it was acquired and his unit info!

6E8FF106-53BF-4AD8-9F35-68CE1C934EB6.jpeg

79257722-1E81-4A6A-9408-D86EC82ED3F1.jpeg

• 4 months later...
ww2collector985

Just saw this thread. That’s a fantastic Type 14, and to be acquired from the vet family…it doesn’t get much better than that. I love the card with how the pistol was acquired, a rare find. 

On 10/7/2021 at 3:32 PM, ww2collector985 said:

Just saw this thread. That’s a fantastic Type 14, and to be acquired from the vet family…it doesn’t get much better than that. I love the card with how the pistol was acquired, a rare find. 

Thanks!

Could he have been in South Bend, Indiana in the late 70s? Found this picture of a Kenneth Rhoton in South Bend in 1979:

image.png