Au Lion Knuckle Knife Value?

Bodes

Forum members, I've come across an opportunity to purchase an Au Lion trench knife....The blade is unsharpened and markings are strong, and has it's original sheath....Bad news is, the tip is broke (about 1/16 - 1/8") and scabbard has rusts and prongs are missing....Asking price is $800/BO.....What should I offer?....Bodes

5 hours ago, Bodes said:

Forum members, I've come across an opportunity to purchase an Au Lion trench knife....The blade is unsharpened and markings are strong, and has it's original sheath....Bad news is, the tip is broke (about 1/16 - 1/8") and scabbard has rusts and prongs are missing....Asking price is $800/BO.....What should I offer?....Bodes

I know they sell in the price range the person is asking for it....Just curious as to how much it's worth "warts" and all?...Bodes

I mean this with all due respect, but that’s up to you.

The reason I struggle with the “what’s it worth?” topics is because it’s super subjective.  If you had no clue what it’s worth, that’s a different matter; but you know the range.

If you’re trying to do a ‘safety play’, and test the market in case you decide to sell it eventually - who knows what the market will be in a month, year, etc.

The formula, as it occurs to me, is : (max value x condition) x desire = value.  

I can’t tell you how bad you want something.  Personally, if I was to buy a 1918, it would be an LF&C.  So, I wouldn’t pay much at all for an Au Lion.  However somebody else who “just has to have one”, may pay a lot (desire).

Especially when I look at online auction results, I have no idea how to answer the value question - beyond what I typed above.  

On a scale of 1-10, how much do you like it?  Hypothetically, if the max on a mint one is $1000, and this one is 50% condition, and you’re a 7 on the desire scale, maybe it’s:

((1000 x .5) x .7))= $350

Blacksmith, great post....As I already own an LF&C knife, I was thinking I'd like to have the pair....Condition for future sale however concerns me.....Curious though as to why you prefer the LF&C over the Au Lion made trench knives?....Bodes

1 hour ago, Bodes said:

Blacksmith, great post....As I already own an LF&C knife, I was thinking I'd like to have the pair....Condition for future sale however concerns me.....Curious though as to why you prefer the LF&C over the Au Lion made trench knives?....Bodes

Thanks brother, I appreciate you indulging me.  :)

As to your question on my LF&C preference, I like the construction and finish of those better.  I’m not saying they ARE better, just that I prefer them.

Also, they are a US company, who have equipped American troops with everything from mess kits to - well - fighting knives.

There is a little “Rosebud” factor for me as well (ala “Citizen Kane”).  To wit, I found an incredibly nice LF&C 1918 in a local pawn shop.  Good honest wear, both hooks on the scabbard, some finish on the blade - gorgeous.  Like a doofus, I carried it to SOS, and sold it.  I have no idea why, but I’ve regretted it for years.

Now, my thinking may need correcting here, but I believe the Au Lions to be the only maker of the two to see service in WWI.  Anecdotally, I have heard that it was due to the timing of contract fulfillment, and that the LF&Cs didn’t get issued until WWII.  Again, I am talking somewhat out of the side of my neck, so anyone please correct me.

54 minutes ago, Blacksmith said:

Thanks brother, I appreciate you indulging me.  :)

As to your question on my LF&C preference, I like the construction and finish of those better.  I’m not saying they ARE better, just that I prefer them.

Also, they are a US company, who have equipped American troops with everything from mess kits to - well - fighting knives.

There is a little “Rosebud” factor for me as well (ala “Citizen Kane”).  To wit, I found an incredibly nice LF&C 1918 in a local pawn shop.  Good honest wear, both hooks on the scabbard, some finish on the blade - gorgeous.  Like a doofus, I carried it to SOS, and sold it.  I have no idea why, but I’ve regretted it for years.

Now, my thinking may need correcting here, but I believe the Au Lions to be the only maker of the two to see service in WWI.  Anecdotally, I have heard that it was due to the timing of contract fulfillment, and that the LF&Cs didn’t get issued until WWII.  Again, I am talking somewhat out of the side of my neck, so anyone please correct me.

You are correct, the Au Lion manufactured knives were issued to the American GI's during WW1....The LF&C's were held in reserve and issued out later during WW2.....Bodes

LFC v. Au Lion, I have considered it myself over the years. It tugs at me because as already stated, if you want a solid representative example of one carried in WWI, you have to go French. But I couldn’t agree more with Blacksmith on the fit and finish of the LFC. I have a minty one that will be one of the last items I sell when I start to unload my collection. I just love that copper flash under the blackened finish on the scabbard, and if you find a nice one, that darkened finish on the brass handle and blade just looks great. I always pause when I pass it in the display cabinet. I have to confess since I own a nice LFC, I sure wouldn’t mind one day adding a nice Lion. 

On the original question, $800 seems high to me, $400-500 would be more like it.  I bought a re-tipped LF&C without scabbard for $250 (and leather sheath) a few years ago, and picked up a scabbard for just over $100 a couple of years later.  Missing the tip is more of a concern than rust and missing prongs on the scabbard.

1 hour ago, thorin6 said:

On the original question, $800 seems high to me, $400-500 would be more like it.  I bought a re-tipped LF&C without scabbard for $250 (and leather sheath) a few years ago, and picked up a scabbard for just over $100 a couple of years later.  Missing the tip is more of a concern than rust and missing prongs on the scabbard.

The missing tip is hard to look at w/o having it affect one's opinion....I wouldn't know how to reshape it, and having to pay somebody else would only further add to my investment....Bodes

16 minutes ago, warguy said:

I agree on the $400 or so price range and posted as much in another forum after seeing photos. 

Thank you for the input...It sounds to me however that the guy is pretty firm on his asking price, so working out a sale seems rather unlikely....Bodes

Hi Bodes,

My thoughts would be forget this  one and just  wait for an unmolested one - for the long run, go for an excellent one - no broken tips and all the  prongs on the scabbard.  It will cost more, but if you decide it sell it, it will sell better than a lesser one.

Steve

11 hours ago, themick said:

Hi Bodes,

My thoughts would be forget this  one and just  wait for an unmolested one - for the long run, go for an excellent one - no broken tips and all the  prongs on the scabbard.  It will cost more, but if you decide it sell it, it will sell better than a lesser one.

Steve

Steve, Thank you for the sound advice!...Bodes

Just quick comment on buying and selling.  If you are buying this with the intent on selling it later, then run away.

You have to decide on whether you have a collector mindset or a dealer mindset.  I have many pieces that I know will never sell for much more than I spent, but I'm okay with that because I buy for my collection (see rules below).  I have a friend that buys to resell, so he evaluates everything in accordance to its sale ability, even if he later decides to keep it for his collection.  My rules are

1. Must advance the collection, used but not abused (even though I do have some excellent, unused condition items)

2. Useful (like cleaning equipment which most people tend to ignore)

3. Neat but cheap (if I"m not sure what something is and want to research it, and it's cheap enough)

Following my rules help keep me out of trouble (not that I avoid all mistakes; I've made a few)

3 hours ago, thorin6 said:

Just quick comment on buying and selling.  If you are buying this with the intent on selling it later, then run away.

You have to decide on whether you have a collector mindset or a dealer mindset.  I have many pieces that I know will never sell for much more than I spent, but I'm okay with that because I buy for my collection (see rules below).  I have a friend that buys to resell, so he evaluates everything in accordance to its sale ability, even if he later decides to keep it for his collection.  My rules are

1. Must advance the collection, used but not abused (even though I do have some excellent, unused condition items)

2. Useful (like cleaning equipment which most people tend to ignore)

3. Neat but cheap (if I"m not sure what something is and want to research it, and it's cheap enough)

Following my rules help keep me out of trouble (not that I avoid all mistakes; I've made a few)

More good points....However, it's not always easy distinguishing reasons why we've decided to buy certain things....Bodes