Pre-war winter cap WW2 use question

huntssurplus

huntssurplus

So I’ve been wondering if the pre-war winter cap was utilized, and how much during WW2. And specifically if it found use during the Battle of Attu and the Aleutian Island Campaign/Alaskan Theatre? It was replaced by the M1941 knit keep cap, but did any still make it into use outside of the states? I’ve found it supposedly was too similar to the caps worn by the Germans which is why it was discontinued, yet it would not be until winter if 1943 in Italy, as it seems unlikely they would have been worn in North Africa. It would be 1943 Italy that this confusion most likely would have first occurred, and that would mean it would have had to have been used first before being discontinued. With the Battle of Attu taking place in May of 1943, before this “confusion” with the Germans would have first taken place and thus it would still have been in service, correct?

And if anyone could provide any photos that would be nice too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy
On 3/9/2021 at 6:32 AM, huntssurplus said:

So I’ve been wondering if the pre-war winter cap was utilized, and how much during WW2. And specifically if it found use during the Battle of Attu and the Aleutian Island Campaign/Alaskan Theatre? It was replaced by the M1941 knit keep cap, but did any still make it into use outside of the states? I’ve found it supposedly was too similar to the caps worn by the Germans which is why it was discontinued, yet it would not be until winter if 1943 in Italy, as it seems unlikely they would have been worn in North Africa. It would be 1943 Italy that this confusion most likely would have first occurred, and that would mean it would have had to have been used first before being discontinued. With the Battle of Attu taking place in May of 1943, before this “confusion” with the Germans would have first taken place and thus it would still have been in service, correct?

And if anyone could provide any photos that would be nice too!

Hi,

I guess as you say it could be confused with the German 43 cap that this is the one that you are enquiring about . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_99de.jpeg.a305746da07c3f8a1f68afd8ead1c31b.jpeg

( used with permission of the author )

regards lewis.

huntssurplus

Yes the one posted by Lewis. Not very familiar with these caps hence why I am posting about them. What were the differences in variation?  Honestly any resource threads here on the forum talking about them? I did a search but didn't find very much. Seems like they likely saw very little use, if any. 

I know that the 244th CA used the flapped buckle cold weather cap at Ft Macon, NC in 1941-42. Can only assume it was used by other CA units of the 1st 2nd and 3rd CA Districts too during the 41 winter. 

huntssurplus

Nice photo! Not surprised they saw some use at least. I wonder if they were mostly phased out by the time they would have saw use in the ETO. It's hard to say definitively whether or not they were used or not, but I'm guessing they must have been in very minute numbers. 

huntssurplus

dustin—just the photo I was looking for! Thank you very much!

Hunt