Woman Marine 1918

12thengr

BILL THE PATCH

The color is fantastic, great image I suppose not many female marine photos around, especially in color

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Interesting she is wearing a glengerry hat. I'm guessing from the later folded collars which if I'm correct didn't happen till the 1920"s?

I'm not sure if there was a womens uniform with that type collar construction before then?

Still very cool.

Thanks for posting.

Ken

Great photo! I know nothing about women’s uniform regs, but the men’s tunic changed to this style collar in 1926 IIRC. I wonder if the women hung onto the glengarry style cap longer than the men? I don’t think the male Marine wore those past about 1920. 

CombatEng44

I’m confused with the flag. Should be 48 not 50? Is this photo supposed to be original vintage. Maybe I’m looking at it wrong.

Since that photo belongs to a friend of mine, ...yes, it's original. 

It would be proper to credit the source for the screenshot.  It's a great image!

phantomfixer

It is a great image but I am going with Combat44...maybe a cut and paste when it was colorized?...I am counting 9 rows of stars

I'm not going to get into posting photos on the internet with no watermarks, (freeforall?) But I will give credit to Joshua Drega, original poster on facebooks US Field Gear Junkies.

• 2 weeks later...

The flag may have been a "staggered 48" which these days are fairly uncommon in those larger sizes. But some of the stars/folds do seem to have a photoshop "rubber stamp" tool quality to them.

But what a great image on so many levels!