demo bag question

VenitHora

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can give me some information on these demo bags? They are made of slightly different material . Is one wwii or later or are they just factory variations?

Thanks

demo.jpg

demo2.jpg

I just picked up one this weekend that looks like the one on the left.  It says "CHARGE ASSEMBLY DEMOLITION" over "M183" over "LOT LOP88J008-002" on the top flap  I think it is Vietnam era but no real idea at this point.

Thanks for the reply. Neither of the ones I posted have any markings I can find. Maybe someone else knows more?

TheGrayGhost

These are satchel charge bags that are generally destroyed with the explosive charge they contained.  Since these bags were not meant for reuse, early versions were unmarked (I have seen one WWII dated bag, but I think it is a fake).  Markings starting showing up after Korea.  The bag design and construction did not change during this time either.

In short, I do not know of any method to accurately date unmarked bags.  I usually go by the colors and feel of the material, the lighter and browner the colors and more canvas like the material, the more likely to be WWII, later bags used thinner lighter materials and turned darker green.