Ranger Tab Question

AirMechanic

AirMechanic

Was it within Army regulations during the Vietnam War (or shortly after) for the Airborne tab on a 101st Airborne patch to be replaced with a Ranger tab if the soldier was qualified?

The “Airborne” tab was and will always be there. It’s part of the patch, not an individual award. The Ranger tab would be worn above the Airborne tab if the soldier was Ranger qualified . 

AirMechanic

The reason I ask is I recently saw a Vietnam War uniform at an antique show that had a 1st Cavalry patch with black and orange airborne tab above it and a 101st airborne patch but a ranger tab instead of the airborne tab above it. I couldn’t figure it if this combination was legitimate.

Is it possible that the soldier only had one airborne tab in his possession and switched his 101st airborne tab to put over the 1st Cavalry patch when they were authorized to wear that configuration (I’m assuming for Airmobile), or would having the Ranger tab instead of the Airborne tab over the 101st patch cause a major chewing out (even if Ranger qualified)?

I suppose this could have been done decades later by the vet after the war too, as often veterans might be missing insignia or remove them to put on hats or in shadow boxes, and therefore don’t always have their old uniforms up to regulations. 

The Airborne tab over a 1st Cav patch is legit; until around the fall of ‘66 their 1st brigade was on jump status. 

As for no Airborne tab above the 101st patch, who knows why that was done but it’d be incorrect. 

Which side was the Ranger tab on? Should be left. 

Who knows. Maybe he just took the Airborne tab off for some reason. Or it’s a Halloween costume. Or a put together. 

The only example we can cite where the AIRBORNE Tab was not worn over the 101 patch is by members of Company L, 75th Rangers in the 69-71 period, here they wore the unit Scroll in lieu of the AIRBORNE Tab, this being only on their tropical coats, the OD or ERDLS. And even then we imagine those member who were actually Ranger Qualified (many members of the new 75th Rangers companies were not Ranger Tabbed) also wore their RANGER Tab over the scroll.