World War ll Visor Cap Repairs

Taj Patel

Dear Militaria Collectors,

I was wondering if anybody knows a place in the Chicagoland area that repairs World War ll Visor Caps? I recently bought a US Army Wool Service Cap that has a loose visor that is starting to fall off and really wanted to fix it because the rest of the hat is in really good condition.

Thanks,

Taj 

EE7F8AF7-EF0F-429E-8ED4-7CF7D7725552.jpeg

carrabassett

Not sure who in the Chicago area but I remember back in the 70’s my father, who’s 92 and still working six days a week in his shoe store/ repair shop, repaired a beautiful Luftwaffe officer’s visor cap with the same problem. Unfortunately, the guy wouldn’t sell it to me! Maybe a local cobbler could repair it. They should have the old Singer manual sewing machine ( I think Model 29 for leather and shoes) that can handle that type of thing.  Just a suggestion.

Jim

No machines for this. It was originally done with a machine but that was with all the pieces new and unsewn. You really need to follow the original holes on this type of repair - easy with parts in this good condition. You can do this yourself with equally professional results if you take your time. No real specialty tools or skills required other than being observant. The leather sweat band and cap band will be turned inside out and the visor slid between. Stitch through all three using the original holes. You could even lightly stitch to hold the holes in alignment and then take those out as you advance with the final detailed stitch. Take care that when you flip it all back in there is enough slack and the correct position of each stitch to allow the leather band to fully flip. You aren't stitching it as tight as you can - just a lightly snug fit. I would flip it every few stitches to ensure they are the right tension to give the right look visible on the leather band. They will sort of self adjust in tension if you do it every few stitches. With the right thread you can make this to where you can't tell it was ever apart.

Even if you took it to a "pro" they would have to do the same thing to do it right just using their hands and hand labor is expensive. Not to mention most think function over appearance and you will not get that stitch look with standard machines. It would be a steep but very short learning curve for you. If you were charged fairly for doing this the correct, "restoration" way it might well cost more than the cap(it would if I did it - for that cap anyway). If you are charged very little for a quick and cheap machine fix it will likely be done without concern for the original holes and lay of the stitching on the leather band. IMO, such repairs look obvious to almost anyone and will destroy what collector value the cap might have forever.

Curious as to the era of that cap? Haven't seen that maker in a WWII cap before. 

huntssurplus

My honest opinion: leave it as is. Unless you are a professional who’s highly experienced with this period caps construction and period sewing techniques, whatever repairs you make, or get someone else to make, will never look as good as an original.

If your goal is to have a mint WW2 visor cap, examples are not too uncommon, and I’m sure you could sell this one to help get most of the way towards the cost if that is what you’re after. Put a wanted add in the forum and it might be that easy to find one.

Important factor to remember, is that no matter what repair you do, it will NEVER be an original example. I had similar ideas to you years ago, wanting to repair items to make them useable or looking more original. It may be hard to realize, but what we do as collectors will never be original, and not only will you be reminded that cap isn’t fully original every time you look at it. And I can tell you from experience, the itch for an original will not be satisfied until you have one that you know is fully original. Plus, if the repair ever went bad, you would most likely wish you never attempted it. Not to mention it will be harder to sell when other collectors know it’s been messed with.

It may seem intense, but it’s something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have sent items to professional conservators for repair.  In both cases ... paint removal on a general-officers vietnam-era boonie ... re-shape and re-stitch front and rear visors on a Prussian M15 ... the work was not cheap.  For your visor, I'm not sure the investment on the fix would be worth it.

Tim 

It can be done by you, I once reattached a deattached sweatband on a WWII Officer Service Cap. Just follow member dmar's instructions, but remember use only 100% Cotton thread.

I agree with dmar836 and patches....sew it yourself.....you probably don’t have that much invested in the cap.  Why not do it yourself.....you have nothing to lose...a lot to gain...”experience”.  Don’t hurry the process....take it easy and attention to detail.  You may surprise yourself.  Take before and after pix...some progress pictures...and in the end...post your finished work.  

• 5 weeks later...

Nice job! Now that you see how to run the stitch you need to sandwich the visor in there and include the outer hat band all in one go. You just want to catch the band from the inside so that your stitch isn’t visible from outside. I would come through the visor as you have done pulling the stitch through then pick back in and under the band and head back pulling taught and finally going back through to the inside. I would loosen the threads you did just ahead of the new stitches as those hold everything in place. It’s not that just anyone can do it but you have shown you can stitch. It just takes a bit of additional concentration. 

Well done so far!

Dave

Taj Patel:   Agree with all the above comments......"NICE JOB!"  You did it...."HATS OFF TO YOU!" Pun intended... (Smile)  Looks like Dave (dmar836) has some experience....listen to him.  You probably learned a lot....with your skill with a few needles and threads.  You probably stuck yourself a few times....but you learned.  You should be proud of yourself.  Again...nice job!

Looks good! I've reattached a sweatband or two but never a visor.

This is definitely a WW2-era cap (that was asked in post #5) as the post-war 1947 pattern is completely different. 

phantomfixer

Good save...good way to pass the evening and save the cap.....

and Dmar836's "made a thing or two" is a humble statement....