AFH M1 bayonet 1943 Find of the century! Rarest of the rare!

Misfit 45

Here are my feelings towards the dated UFH M1.   My M1s are as such in length, PAL 14.5" in length, AFH 14 3/8", UFH 14.25", UC 14 3/8",  OL 14 3/8"   Dated UFH M1 14". Length appears to be all over the board.  I'm not overly concerned of the length if it is authentic.  14" does concern me a little.  It appears to be a different size groove about 1 5/8" above the cross guard.  The groove does not quite look right.  The first part 1 5/8" feels deeper than the rest of the blood groove.  The file marks at suspected weld area concerns me.  The spine does not quite seem to line up straight along its entire length. 

I'm currently looking into a few places that can do x-rays on it to give the definitive answer.    I'm leaning to it being a welded forgery with real parts.  I will keep you all posted as I learn more.

This evening I got a reply from Great Lakes Testing in Green Bay, Wi.  Here was the VP of operations reply to me. 

"Bob,

The easiest way would be to use a weak acid rub on the suspected weld area and if it has been welded you can see a distinct color difference between the weld and the base metal. Muriatic acid usually works good. Sometimes even ketchup left on for a long time will do it."  I used vinegar for the test.

The results are in......:(           It's a forgery....Darn it

Well it was a long shot.  Now for the refund.  Had they used two pieces with the same size groove and did a better job of lining things up. they may have gotten away with it.

Happy IMG_4185.jpeg.842c71b02a876d1856fe4354b652c5b6.jpegHolidays to allIMG_4186.jpeg.22ffdba51f33e5e214f3d812822d8ca4.jpeg

Nbound,

Not the outcome that we were hoping for but very hard to dispute that evidence.
What a simple cheap way to test for a weld; thanks for telling how to carry the test out, guess it won’t be the last time it is used now. The search must go on.

Cheers.

Nbound-

So did you use vinegar for your test? Good information to have! I too wish it was real. Thanks for taking the risk, we all wanted to know!

hyrax222

2 hours ago, hyrax222 said:

Nbound-

So did you use vinegar for your test? Good information to have! I too wish it was real. Thanks for taking the risk, we all wanted to know!

hyrax222

Yes I used vinegar, rubbed it for only a few minutes and the color difference started showing up.  Happy Holidays to all.  Thanks for all your inputs.

• 4 weeks later...

Noticed this morning that this M1 UFH 1943 marked bayonet has just been relisted by the previous owner, the starting price has been greatly reduced ($69.99) and seller has stated in his description, "weld mark 1cm above ricasso where blades been refitted to handle". 

No International shipping.

Already 5 bids, will keep an eye on it.

Nbound, hope returning of the bayonet worked out ok for you.

Cheers.

Yes, everything worked out fine.   Full refund was received today.  Worth the shipping to learn how to detect welds.  I would have been happier had it turned out to be the real deal.  Had to try , the pictures were good but they did snot how the depth differences of the two welded pieces.  Glad I talked to a metallurgist and learned what to look for.

.........the search continues    Thanks to all.

• 2 weeks later...

I would say the AFH M1905 dated 1942, in nice condition like yours would be worth $350 to $400,  It depends on everything.  In the end, it's only worth what someone will pay.

Marv

• 1 month later...

Here is another beauty🙂  It's better done than the 1943 UFH M1 from Australia.  on EBAY  Vintage WWII US Army Marine Corps UFH 1942 M1 Garand Bayonet 10" & Scabbard    Obviously the seller does not know very much about bayonets.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
American Sasquatch

Just recently picked up a beautiful 16" PAL 1943. I prefer the 1943 over a 1942. For some reason I feel that the 1943 is more desirable, I see so many 1942's

FB_IMG_1689050261935.jpg

FB_IMG_1689050229221.jpg

FB_IMG_1689024207854.jpg

FB_IMG_1689024211417.jpg

FB_IMG_1689024241836.jpg

FB_IMG_1689024204414.jpg