AFH M1 bayonet 1943 Find of the century! Rarest of the rare!

Misfit 45

This is the only M1 1942 date stamped bayo I have ever seen! Mind boggling the circumstances that lead to this rarity and others like it. Thank you for sharing!!!

This is why I keep my sees peeled...

hyrax222

17 minutes ago, hyrax222 said:

This is the only M1 1942 date stamped bayo I have ever seen! Mind boggling the circumstances that lead to this rarity and others like it. Thank you for sharing!!!

This is why I keep my sees peeled...

hyrax222

You mean 1943 dated.  Referring to the UC 1905/42 bayonet.  Right?  Yeah, I've never found yet either.

Been following this thread for a while and have some observations regarding the 16" UC 1943 bayonet shown.

I believe it's fairly well accepted that Utica Cutlery cut down their stock of  1943 dated 16" bayonets before they could be shipped. This would account for the 1943 dated UC M1905E1Bayonets which appear for sale fairly often and lack any rebuild marks from other manufacturers. Almost all, if not all, of these UC 1943 cut downs have a round topped 3 in the date. This would include transitional UC 1943 M1's. I can't think of any reason UC would use a flat topped 3 on any bayonet.

As Hyrax222 pointed out the 4 and the 3  on this bayonet appear to have bee overstamped. As much as I hate to say it, the possibility of said bayonet being bogus is quite high.  

5 hours ago, remman said:

Been following this thread for a while and have some observations regarding the 16" UC 1943 bayonet shown.

I believe it's fairly well accepted that Utica Cutlery cut down their stock of  1943 dated 16" bayonets before they could be shipped. This would account for the 1943 dated UC M1905E1Bayonets which appear for sale fairly often and lack any rebuild marks from other manufacturers. Almost all, if not all, of these UC 1943 cut downs have a round topped 3 in the date. This would include transitional UC 1943 M1's. I can't think of any reason UC would use a flat topped 3 on any bayonet.

As Hyrax222 pointed out the 4 and the 3  on this bayonet appear to have bee overstamped. As much as I hate to say it, the possibility of said bayonet being bogus is quite high.  

On 3/27/2021 at 5:04 PM, hyrax222 said:

Pardon, a few observaytions:

As to to the M1905 UC, dated-1943: The date stamp looks odd, especially at the "4" and "3". The left side ricasso area appears "massaged" or uneven. Also it seems to have a square ground fuller. I have never seen a square ground fuller on anything but 1942 dated bayonets. However, Anything is possible...

Apologies to all, no detriment implied. Perhaps I am not seeing clearly.

hyrax222

I know this M1905/42   1943 16" UC bayonet is a good topic of discussion.  It does create a lot of unanswerable questions.  I have included as many pics as I could to show all the markings that I can find.  I know this raises more questions than answers.  How many people have a 16" 1943 in their collection?  How many have even seen one or pictures of a 1943  16" UC ?  Probably about as many that did not think a 1943 AFH M1 existed, but, it does exist.  I see where the square fuller raises questions.  Could the square  fuller be a left over blank from 42? Then used in the earliest 43 productions? I don't know.  Why would a forger go through so much so accurately and then not use the correct 4 & 3 stamp which would have been one of the easiest things to do wright.  So why does it have the correct crossguard numbering,( crossguard has never been removed so it appears)?  Why does the latch lever appear original?  The grips appear original. The escutcheron (crossed cannons) stamp seems to be authentic.

I have seen quite a few forged or reproduction OL 16" on ebay , they are usually easy to spot.  I started collecting bayonets around 2012.   This 1943 Utica is the only one I have ever seen.  I've never seen one on EBAY (other than this one in 2020).  I have never seen one at a gun or knife show.  I've never seen one at the the OVMS(Ohio Valley Military Society) Show of Shows In Louisville.  IF it's a forgery or reproduction,  why have we never seen more?????  If it is a forgery or reproduction, why would someone go through all the trouble to make only one with so many original parts?????  I still have yet to see another one.  So I guess this one will remain in my collection until I see another one with all the real parts and stamps.  I still can not explain the unexplainable. 

I am certainly not an expert on the topic,  Just a guy with a nice self funded bayonet addiction problem :) that includes all 6 manufacturers of M1905/42/43 all the m1905e1s for each maker and their M1s other than WT for which there are none.   For now I'll keep looking for the mistakes that people let slip away.  Happy hunting to all.

IMG_2185.jpeg

IMG_2186.jpeg

IMG_2187.jpeg

IMG_2182 2.jpeg

IMG_2184.jpeg

IMG_2183.jpeg

IMG_2188.jpeg

IMG_2189.jpeg

IMG_2190 2.jpeg

The more I look at the date stamp, the more unsure I feel. The no. 3 stamp and no. 4 stamp are not the same as on my  1943 UC bayonets. UC in 1943 used the rounded top 3, also, the horizontal leg of the 4 is short and kind of double-stamped. 

Arrive at your own conclusions...

hyrax222

• 3 weeks later...
Frank Trzaska

A very interesting and informative thread, I thank you all for jumping in.

I just wanted to point out one small issue... Gary Cunningham's Bayonet Points is not free, I pay for it every month to be hosted. I edited it and the photos, shared opinions and information with Gary freely and almost daily. Sent bayonets to be studied and photo'ed and reams of reports and information. Gary shared back with me everything he had as well. He enjoyed it and so did I. Gary was my friend. I will continue to host it on my web site as long as I an able but I can assure you it is not free.

OK I feel better now! LOL! 

All the best

Frank Trzaska

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone who posted their treasures and gave info about these pieces of history. The links to Bayo Points are especially helpful.

• 6 months later...

Hi,  I'm new to the site.  Was wondering what people thought of my Oneida uncut 10" bayonet?  It's a little worse for wear but original in my opinion.  Bought it at a gun show for $65 5 years ago.  From what I'm hearing it may be the 2nd rarest variation?

Thanks,

Gary

20220114_202315.jpg

20220114_203626.jpg

20220114_203616.jpg

20220114_202558.jpg

20220114_202422.jpg

You did well. Obviously the seller did not know he had a gem.  These are well sought after.  There is no real evidence which of the dated M1s (uncut) is the rarest, I think it is a toss up between the Oneida and and the U.C.  However, if you are specifically looking for a dated PAL M1, that'll be hard to find too.  The UFH dated M1 is fairly easy to find,  Keep in mind, I'm not even talking about the AFH.  You won't find one.

Marv

Thanks.  I was also wondering if the M7 scabbard is original to the blade.  It's a b-n over 3-4.  My picture isn't very good.

I'm guessing this piece was passed off as surplus to other countries many years ago?  It's got a serial number on the crossguard.

Gary

If this bayonet has a serial no. on the cross guard, you are right. It was sent to the Greeks and came back home about ten years ago.  Unfortunately is does lower the value considerably. If the scabbard actually says "M7" on the metal throat, then it is a foreign made scabbard.

Marv

• 2 months later...
horridohutch

Hello gentlemen.....

I would like to post an AFH 1943 M1 bayonet that I bought a few years ago. Clearly marked as such and does not look to be over stamped. And looks like a factory made transitional M1 to me. Everything I am seeing on this piece is that it is well made and frankly I do not think Bubba has this level of skill at is bench. 

Please let me know your thoughts as I am thinking it could be one of the elusive '43 marked from this maker..

Bayonet was purchased online from an antiques dealer in the San Francisco area.

IMG_5498.JPG

IMG_5499.JPG

IMG_5500.JPG

IMG_5502.JPG

IMG_5503.JPG

IMG_5504.JPG

IMG_5505.JPG

IMG_5506.JPG

IMG_5507.JPG

IMG_5508.JPG

IMG_5509.JPG

IMG_5510.JPG

IMG_5511.JPG

IMG_5512.JPG

IMG_5513.JPG

IMG_5514.JPG

IMG_5515.JPG

IMG_5516.JPG

IMG_5517.JPG

IMG_5518.JPG

IMG_5519.JPG

IMG_5520.JPG

Horridohutch-

This bayo appears to me to having a longer than standard fuller. It appears to end closer to the point than normal. Possibly a 16" bayo was cut and the point falls away from the fuller bottom giving the appearance of never having extended to the tip. 

Just my $.02

hyrax222

horridohutch
3 hours ago, hyrax222 said:

Horridohutch-

This bayo appears to me to having a longer than standard fuller. It appears to end closer to the point than normal. Possibly a 16" bayo was cut and the point falls away from the fuller bottom giving the appearance of never having extended to the tip. 

Just my $.02

hyrax222

Yes sir... gentlemen no doubt it was a 16 inch blank to begin with, this is what we see with all the transitional M1905 to M1 bayonets. The blanks left over were made into M1s. It is prevalent on the UFH made transitionals in somewhat the same manner. It is my point that this is a factory made transitional. Of which I would love to see more of if there are any here in members collections, for comparison. Although a ground down 16 inch, it was done by American Fork and Hoe to conform to the new standard. As a M1. It clearly does not have the appearance of a typical cut M1905. You are both absolutly correct in your statement.  

Horridohutch-

I do like the way this one looks! I have never seen another ground this way. Someone obviously made a special effort that day!  Possible test piece? Original M1905E1?

From my experience the fuller always goes through the tip. But the vageries of life,  never say never. It IS very thin looking, the last 2" of the blade, still, this profile may be possible. I would like to place it side by side with other similar bayonets for profile comparison and dimensioning. 

Alas, my scruffy two M1 AFH cut-down's with spear points have the fullers going through the tip :(

hyrax222

horridohutch

My thought as well , it is very thin at tip. What nails it for me as a M1 is that it as the exact profile as one. It also does not have the re work marks normally seen. Although not a full on AFH 1943 rarity. I dont know that I have seen a transitional from this maker. Waiting for others to compare to...  

horridohutch-

Two AFH and two UFH for comparision. Any of the contracted manufactures or ? could have "modified". Profiles vary widely.

hyrax22220220410_145653.jpg.3d349391018e0035a1ab38eac6235e3a.jpg20220410_150120.jpg.129da72286b0ec832bc0c5c5d5ed74d0.jpg

Horridohutch,

I think we all concur the this AFH was cut down.  I think the definitive way to know whether it was cut down from a blank or cut down from a finished 16" 1905, is to measure the fuller depth at several points and compare it to the fuller depth at the tip.  If it is a regular 1905/E1, then the fuller should be the same depth from start to finish, even at the tip.

In the pictures, I show two places to measure...one towards the middle of the blade and one at the tip.  The actual depth is not critical.  What you are looking for is if there is a significant difference at the tip compared to the rest of the fuller.  Keep in mind, the shape of the spear point will change the center of the fuller.  Be sure to measure the exact center of the fuller depth.

If you have an M1 cut down from a blank, that's a pretty scarce thing to find. Congrats.

I could not hold the bayonet, the Boley gauge, and the camera at the same time, you get the idea though. Thanks.

Marv

IMG_0326.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

horridohutch
1 hour ago, Misfit 45 said:

Horridohutch,

I think we all concur the this AFH was cut down.  I think the definitive way to know whether it was cut down from a blank or cut down from a finished 16" 1905, is to measure the fuller depth at several points and compare it to the fuller depth at the tip.  If it is a regular 1905/E1, then the fuller should be the same depth from start to finish, even at the tip.

In the pictures, I show two places to measure...one towards the middle of the blade and one at the tip.  The actual depth is not critical.  What you are looking for is if there is a significant difference at the tip compared to the rest of the fuller.  Keep in mind, the shape of the spear point will change the center of the fuller.  Be sure to measure the exact center of the fuller depth.

If you have an M1 cut down from a blank, that's a pretty scarce thing to find. Congrats.

I could not hold the bayonet, the Boley gauge, and the camera at the same time, you get the idea though. Thanks.

Marv

IMG_0326.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

Now to find the Boley gauge, the micrometer I have will not get into the fuller...

Misfit 45-

This is exactly what I was alluding to! You demonstrate where and what I want to measure, with different manufacturers bayonets.  I will get some fuller-web measurements and make some notes. I will post when info is coherent.

You, with your comprehensive reference collection, can add to this database! :)

Measements in thousandths of an inch prefered.

hyrax222